Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 2000  *new hardware found*  popup  (Read 4429 times)

taraljohnson

Windows 2000  *new hardware found*  popup
« on: March 14, 2007, 09:30:23 PM »
Thank you to the person who took the time to reply.  

Unfortunately, I wasn't very clear.  I bought the computer in July 2006 from my work and the OS was already installed.  I added some peripherals around the same time (DLINK broadband modem, mic, speakers, and external hard drive), and printer (HP All in one).  I do not have any other disks than the OS and some of the software I was also given.  I do not know enough about computers, motherboards/drivers to attempt to reinstall correctly.

I use the computer for the same thing(s) day in/out, I am used to what it does on a daily basis. I mentioned that I downloaded a program, can't remember what it was or where I downloaded it from, and have since deleted it, but this popup started around the same time I downloaded the program.I used Webroot and scanned for ad/spyware-none found.  I have deleted/uninstalled this PCI Serial Port from the hardware profile, it keeps coming back.  lol...like bad food.

Anyone else with a suggestion?    Please "dumb it down" for me, that's why I came to you, because you know what to do....Thank you.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Windows 2000  *new hardware found*  popup
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 09:35:30 PM »
Download and run Everest Home as i suggested in your other thread...this will tell you exactly which motherboard you have and we can help find the correct drivers you need.
This is the only thing that will get rid of the annoying message.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

taraljohnson

Re: Windows 2000  *new hardware found*  popup
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 10:03:10 PM »
Patio:  Here is the information generated  by Everest Home--I'm a little worried about doing something like installing drivers, is there anything that could go wrong?  It's my only computer and I don't have the  money if anything goes wrong.... Thanks.

Motherboard:  

CPU Type   Intel Pentium IIIE, 600 MHz (6 x 100)  
   Motherboard Name   Intel Mount Prospect MP440BX (2 ISA, 4 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM, LAN)  
   Motherboard Chipset   Intel 82440BX  
   System Memory   768 MB (SDRAM)  
   BIOS Type   Phoenix (11/30/99)  
   Communication Port   Communications Port (COM1)  
   Communication Port   Communications Port (COM2)  
   Communication Port   ECP Printer Port (LPT1)  

Product Information      http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/index.htm