Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help posting forms to my email from my website!  (Read 3258 times)

robbiettussin

Help posting forms to my email from my website!
« on: March 21, 2007, 03:36:46 PM »
Hi I need a bit of help, I have a questionnarie setup on my website, once all the questions are filled in and the user clicks proceed, (which is me at the moment as im just testing it) a message box comes up warning about the form being sent by email, I use outlook so the form goes into outlook to be sent. Is there a way that I can get the form sent to my email with out sending it by email, like getting the web page to send it automatically?
Thanx in advance :-?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Help posting forms to my email from my website
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 03:49:05 PM »
Yes, absolutely, but this would require server-side processing.  Does your web host support PHP?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

robbiettussin

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 12:29:43 PM »
I don't have an account that supports php but I guess I will have tomorrow once I sort it out. One it's sorted out, what code do I need to enter?  

<form method="get" action="mailto:[email protected]" enctype="text/plain">
or
<form method="post" action="mailto:[email protected]" enctype="text/plain">

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 12:49:43 PM »
Some hosts may not support PHP but will support Perl, it can also be done easily with Perl / ASP or other scripting languages. Some hosts may also have scripts on their server that will allow you to do this, so may also want to look into that.

Once it's setup you'll actually have a script on your server that handles the mail and on your web page you'll setup a forum that submits the data to that script. Something similar to the below example.
Code: [Select]
<form method="GET" action="<your script location here>">
<input type="text" name="name" size="10">
<input type="text" name="message" size="30">
</form>
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein