Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Primary disk not found  (Read 4060 times)

skid20

Primary disk not found
« on: October 14, 2004, 10:37:56 AM »
I'm going to start from the begining.  I started up my computer and right at the end of post it started a continous rapid beeping.  Then the enter password (startup) command sarted scrolling down the screen.  As as I touched the first key of my password I would get a message "incorrect password".  I tried to boot with a disk...no help.  I thought the HD was bad so I bought a new one installed it and got the message primary disk not found hit F1 to continue or F2 for setup.  I tried both.  After much consternation I managed to get the new OS loaded (ME) but upon booting I would get primary disk not found hit F1 .... if you hit F1 windows will continue to boot like normal.

I hooked the old HD into my backup system and it worked just fine.  Ihook the new HD into the backup system and it also works with the exception of the video drivers that come with me are incompatiable with the card so there is some giration you need to go through that I can't remember to fix that.  But I digress.  I replaced the cables with no change...I suspect a motherboard or RAM problem but I am at the limits of my ability...Any help would be appreciated...I have tried most of the suggestions at the HD help site. :-[

Raptor

Re: Primary disk not found
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 10:39:32 AM »
Did you properly configure the jumpers and the BIOS?

You may need to format the new Hard Disk Drive before using it.

skid20

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 10:42:00 AM »
Yes, I rechecked this several times

skid20

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 08:22:13 AM »
No more Ideas...anyone??? ???

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 08:57:10 AM »
Take out expansion cards and other periphals that may be causing problems. Eliminate the problem this way.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 02:26:43 PM »
what bios have you got award/ ami?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 02:27:22 PM by merlin_2 »

skid20

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 02:55:24 PM »
I don't know right off hand...I have a dell 8100 and it's what ever came with it.  I'll look tonight and let you know

merlin_2

skid20

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 03:07:04 PM »
It's the second to the last one under the light codes "other problem" solution contact Dell.  That is what I don't want to do if I don't have to.  Their customer service has not been the best in my opinion.

merlin_2

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2004, 03:11:13 PM »
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dsleest/syssetup.htm and all that beeping you have had ..comes from the bios  password system to clear it I used this method in the past and it has always worked for me. Slide a piece of paper or thin cardboard between the battery and its connection point on the motherboard. Leave it there for a few minutes then remove
« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 03:14:08 PM by merlin_2 »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2004, 03:19:54 PM »
...I started up my computer and right at the end of post it started a continous rapid beeping...

Indicates motherboard battery might be weak.
http://www.computerhope.com/help/cmos.htm
« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 03:20:13 PM by Computer_Commando »