Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard drive problem  (Read 4351 times)

Joey Chonko

Hard drive problem
« on: October 14, 2004, 10:44:08 AM »
I had a 40gb hard drive with windows xp on it.  I tried to install red hat 9 linux and it failed to work.  Now neither linux or winXP boot and my computer does not detect my hard drive.  I checked all the cables and everything is plugged in.  I do not know much about partioning hard drives and I think that i messed it up when i tried to partion it when installing linux.  Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Raptor

Re: Hard drive problem
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 10:46:47 AM »
Does your BIOS detect the Hard Disk Drive?

Joey Chonko

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 10:55:55 AM »
yes

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 10:57:01 AM »
You may be able to boot from the Windows XP CD-ROM and create new partitions from there.

Joey Chonko

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 10:57:52 AM »
How do i create new partions?

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 10:59:36 AM »
By selecting the install option. Then it should prompt you to select a partition or create/remove one.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 10:59:59 AM »
...I do not know much about partioning hard drives and I think that i messed it up when i tried to partion it when installing linux.  Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Common problem, don't feel bad.  Linux boot loader (LILO) has made a mess of things.  Search this website for "boot.ini".

Joey Chonko

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 11:05:59 AM »
Can someone find a website/article about partions, what they are, how they work, etc?

Computer_Commando

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 11:31:35 AM »

joe_chonk

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2004, 11:37:23 AM »
Yeahhhhhh.  Well the website is great and has helped me out a lot but it would be much better if someone explained more about my question...

Computer_Commando

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2004, 11:15:07 AM »
Yeahhhhhh.  Well the website is great and has helped me out a lot but it would be much better if someone explained more about my question...

You're not paying attention.  Go to the homepage of this website...in the upper left, see the search window?  Type in whatever you want explained.  Now...wasn't that easy?