Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer won't fully turn off  (Read 4241 times)

Peter Grainger

Computer won't fully turn off
« on: October 14, 2004, 01:44:34 PM »
Hi,
If anyone could help me i'd be very grateful.  I have  an AMD Athlon K7VT2.  One day I was testing another persons computer and removed the power suppy and then reinstalled it in my computer.  Ever since then the computer will shutdown but I cannot get it to turn off completely, even using the power button on the front, it has to be turned off at the back.  This doesn't bother me, but when I turn the computer on, XP always crashes at least once.  Any advice on this would help me alot.
Thanks,
Pete  

Raptor

Re: Computer won't fully turn off
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 01:45:25 PM »
Have you checked the CMOS power settings?

THEshortMONK

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 01:54:37 PM »
yeah, I reset all the settings to default and checked that the power settings weren't on 'turn off to standly' or anything

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 01:57:16 PM »
Did you properly connect all the power cables?

THEshortMONK

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 02:05:55 PM »
Yeah, and I tryed another power supply in case that supply, cable or connector was faulty and the exact same thing happened.  I also updated the bios and all the drivers for that motherboard.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 02:45:06 PM »
You've missed something...m'board connector not locked or obscure BIOS setting, or some wire is loose.

http://www.duxcw.com/faq/ps/ps1.htm

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 03:11:38 PM »
you say winxp crashes at least once what error /stop messages?

THEshortMONK

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004, 04:08:37 AM »
There are no error messages.  The computer just suddenly stops working, usually when XP has just started and sometimes when it is loading up.  The only option is to turn it off at the back and start again.