Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My Mup.sys solution.  (Read 2583 times)

bayern

My Mup.sys solution.
« on: March 26, 2007, 06:46:11 AM »
Hi all,

This is a follow up of my previous post regarding the Mup.sys issue. (I even saw this happened on two of the demo notebooks at Microcenter.) Apparently this is a very problematic and common issue for Win XP. There are tons of link regarding this issue when I googled it. Each of them has a different solution but none of them applied to my situation (trust me, I tried them all! --well almost.) but I did learn a lot from them tho. Like everything else, once you know the solution, it appears to be extremly obvious and simple.

What I did was I took the harddrive out of the laptop, the problematic one that hanged at Mup.sys and stuck in the dreadful infinite reboot loop. I hooked it up to a USB enclosure, plugged it in to my desktop. The desktop is a multi boot machine, Windows 98, windows 2000, windows XP, and three distros of Linux. I boot the desktop into Win2000, went into the WinXP partition, copy the entire drivers folder from the Wondows\system32\drivers\ directory. (This is important, make sure WinXP is not the active OS.) I replaced the one on the laptop harddrive with this good one. Then I put the harddrive back to the laptop. Boot the laptop up with winXP CD, using the recovery console, I typed in chkdsk /r and waited with my fingers crossed. Sure enough, once the chkdsk complete, it boots up beautifully into WinXP, with 0 data lost. The sweet WinXP chime sound! As a thank you, my female friend is taking me out for dinner!  :D :D :D :D

Well, why not just do a clean reinstallation? Firstly, even tho all her data were backed up, she would still have to reinstall all the applications which is a major pain in the *censored*. Secondly, it works in situation that when a original restore CD is not available, like in this case. Thirdly, a simple reinstallation is boring, cheating, no fun and no challenge. ;)

This solution might not apply to every situation and perhaps it's not the best way, but it works for me and I hope it will help someone as well.

B.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 07:00:43 AM by bayern »