Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Travelmate won't turn on!  (Read 4376 times)

Al Smith

Travelmate won't turn on!
« on: October 15, 2004, 02:38:19 PM »
AHHH!!.  I was just compiling a large program on my Acer 243XC when it turned itself off and now won't restart.

THe fan was on constantly but it didn't seem too hot.  Now when I turn it on the fan starts-up full blast and then the laptop turns off again.

Al Smith

Re: Travelmate won't turn on!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 02:41:41 PM »
If I try to turn it on the fan starts but then the computer turns off.  If i then try again I can hear a blip from the speaker but nothing else.  I have to wait about 1 min before I can try again.

What's going on?

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 03:30:09 PM »
how long have you had this laptop on for...<overheating maybe>leave it for five mins and try to boot it again some motherboards do this to prevent any damage...

frogboy

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 03:57:07 PM »
I had it on for about 1 hour compiling X11 for Linux so it was working fairly hard.  Always been a bit suspicioius of how often the fan came on but then it is a Celeron 2.5gHz - not known for having a low running temp.    

Just tried turning it on again having left it for about 45 mins but the same thing happens.

I think may be the CPU has burned out, but normally the fan will crank up a few notches if it starts to get really hot but it didn't do this.

Ahh, just got wireless working really well in Linux as well.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 03:59:03 PM by frogboy »

frogboy

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 02:36:27 AM »
all sorted - it was a dodgy plug and the computers fine!!!!!!!!!