Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer powers up but no signal to monitor  (Read 2361 times)

andy19818iron

Computer powers up but no signal to monitor
« on: March 29, 2007, 04:44:12 AM »
There is no signal to the monitor, it powers up and there is the initial beeping sound, cd drives, HDD and floppy appear to be functioning,and all lights and fans work fine. It doesnt boot up. I googled to try and solve the problem and have tried a process of elimination, so far I have:

1) Checked video card - I replaced with an old one which definately works and still no activity. I then thought it could be the AGP slot but when I put the original card back i removed the power connections for it and it started beeping, so I presume the slot is ok? Not sure though.

2) Made sure all cables were in correctly - yes

3) Removed CMOS battery and replaced - no difference

4) Memory - removed one stick - no difference, removed other stick - no difference.

4) Checked CPU - seemed to be seated in correctly but removed and replaced anyway, again no difference.

5) Monitor - monitor screen works as it displays 'no signal' when it attempts to boot.

I'm stumped as to what to do next. It also doesn't bleep when the processor or a solitary RAM stick is removed, but, when the 6800GT's power cable are unattached it bleeps like crazy. Could this lack or warning beeps when important components removed be due to a duff motherboard?

Can anyone help?

Many thanks,

Andy

SYSTEM SPEC: Athlon 3000+ (oc to 3200+), Asus K9N Motherboard, 6800GT graphics card, 1gb ram, 160gb HD, 350w PSU.

pidu_rak

Re: Computer powers up but no signal to monitor
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 04:48:12 AM »
i had similar problem.. jus remove ur external graphics card and see.. i did the same and after reinstalling Xp and then adding my Graphics card.. it went fine...

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer powers up but no signal to monitor
    « Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 09:28:56 AM »
    My wife's computer had a similar problem.  I did all the stuff you did but still didn't work.  What DID work for the moment was to unplug the PSU, then the system worked...until the next time we shut it down.  I turned it off yesterday, removed the NIC, reseated everything.  Then, i unscrewed the motherboard mounting screws, moved the mobo slightly, then retightened the screws & rebooted.  It's been fine since  I did that.

Hope this will help  ;D

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!