Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My PC Takes Ages to Boot  (Read 3423 times)

computercrazy123

My PC Takes Ages to Boot
« on: April 01, 2007, 02:01:38 AM »
My Computer Configuration is Given Below:
Processor:Intel Celeron CPU at 2.00 Ghz
RAM:256 MB DDR Ram
Hard Drive:40 GB IDE HDD
Motherboard:Intel D865GBF(6 PCI & 1 AGP Slot) with Integrated Audio and Video
Graphics Accelerator:Inbuilt with upto 96MB of Graphics Memory

I have Windows XP SP2 installed on my System.My anti-Virus program is McAfee Virus Scan 2006.It also includes Personal Firewall Plus,Spam Killer,Anti-Spyware and Quick Clean Lite.My PC takes around 5 Minute to Boot after the Desktop comes into Appearance.But the HDD Activity goes on.The HDD indicator LED is constantly lit till 5 Minutes and in those 5 min my PC responds slowly.Plz tell me a soln to this problem and fast.   

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: My PC Takes Ages to Boot
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 02:24:03 AM »
You need to double your ram to 512MB.

Follow the guides at the below site.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/northrup_restoreperf.mspx
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 04:36:34 AM »
More RAM would speed the boot process slightly.
The other things you could do would be to eliminate unnecessary startup programs, clean junk, defragment, remove malware and upgrade your hard drive.
Follow the steps in the guide above and see how it goes.
If there isn't an improvement, post back and we'll give you some more things to try.

computercrazy123

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 04:41:47 AM »
I have kept minimum Items in my startup.If I'm correct there are none.I don't know if Adobe Speed Launch might be there in startup though I have deleted the Icon from the Startup Folder.I defragment,check for Errors,Scan for Viruses,Spyware,Malware,Adware every Month.I can't disable the adobe speed launch startup process.Plz suggest a way to it too.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 04:46:13 AM »
Go to start --> run --> type msconfig and press enter.
Go to the startup tab and see what is checked there.
If you're not sure of them, either post a list of the items there or take a screenshot.
You may also want to look over here and follow that guide, which will help speed up your system.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 08:39:06 AM »
The Deputy Sheriff has became a 'cross bones and skull maniac'
Runnnn.......PeckerWood....Runnnnn! LOL ;D
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 10:50:00 AM »
The Deputy Sheriff has became a 'cross bones and skull maniac'
Runnnn.......PeckerWood....Runnnnn! LOL ;D
LOL!
I got bored of my old anonymous type avatar and I couldn't think of what I wanted.
It was a choice between the skull and crossbones or a storm-type avatar.
Don;t worry, I won't go psychopathic on you . . . yet.

gecko13662

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 11:01:34 PM »
if you go to start on your desktop click on run.  type in msconfig then press ok. the system configurytion will pop up then click the tap that saids startup unclick all the program but your anti virus programs. you will have less running and more memory for other programs. also  try type    perfetch       in the (run) press ok a folder will pop up delete everything in the folder you don't  need all the junk then restart your computer  it should boot faster      if your computer is older then a new hard  drive will make it faster ..          old hard drive will slow a computer down alot.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 03:29:52 AM »
gecko, your advice makes almost no sense.
I can understand very little of it, but what I can understand is that almost all of what you are saying is the same as what I have already suggested.
You have also spelt prefetch wrong, which means that part of your instructions will not work.
At the minute we are waiting for the OP to get back to us, there is little point in posting again until they have responded.
Please, just take a little time to review your post next time for spelling mistakes, and try to include a few full stops, paragraphs and capital letters.  Also, think about whether you are really contributing to the discussion.
Thanks.