Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Change user in command prompt  (Read 17710 times)

ŽOŠK

Change user in command prompt
« on: April 11, 2007, 05:39:20 AM »
Hey! I'm a new member and I don't have enough time to read all the topics so I'm very sorry if someone else has asked about that before.
So, my question is: Is it possible to change user accounts in command prompt and how?

I know it is possible in Linux, but I want to learn how to do this in Windows Command Prompt.

Greetings!  8)

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Change user in command prompt
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 05:41:27 AM »
Please mention what OS you're using?
and
Do you want to create a new user or switch accounts?

ŽOŠK

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 05:48:08 AM »
The OS I use is Windows XP
I want to switch accounts, not to create a new one

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 06:07:28 AM »
I don't think that is possible. You can edit accounts and stuff but i don't think you can switch users......
I searched for it and i didn't find anything. I could be wrong so wait for more replies.

ŽOŠK

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 06:17:26 AM »
OK. Well, I actually don't want exactly to "switch" accounts. What I want is, for example, if I use a Limited account to be able to get the privileges of an Administrator. I used Fedora Core, so I'm sure it is possible in Linux but I don't know how to do it in Windows command prompt.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 06:33:35 AM »
Who's machine are you trying to hack with this? There would be no benefit to a home user that I can see.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 11:24:10 AM by GX1_Man »

ŽOŠK

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 06:49:47 AM »
HAHA! I think you're wrong. See:
I use a Limited account. To switch on the Administrator Acount on my computer I need at least 5 minutes. Very often an error appears when I switch the accounts so I have to restart the computer and it takes more time. So if I want to so something that requires an administrator privileges I have to waste much time. For me it is absolutely inconvenient. There are some reasons why I can't use an Admin account but they are considered by the security of my system. So my account is Limited and I have to switch very often to an administrator which is absolutely inconvenient as i said.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 06:55:31 AM »
Who's machine

Sidewinder

Guru

• Experience: Familiar
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 07:03:23 AM »
You can use the runas utility provided you know both the administrator logon and the password. This is not a hack and actually is documented in the XP Help and Support for this very purpose.

8)
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.

-- Albert Einstein

ŽOŠK

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 10:27:41 AM »
Yeah I know about run as but what if I want to have an access as an administrator?! Also sometimes I have problems with some instalation files if I use the run as utility.

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 11:26:16 AM »
I use a Limited account. To switch on the Administrator Acount on my computer I need at least 5 minutes. Very often an error appears when I switch the accounts so I have to restart the computer and it takes more time. So if I want to so something that requires an administrator privileges I have to waste much time. For me it is absolutely inconvenient. There are some reasons why I can't use an Admin account but they are considered by the security of my system. So my account is Limited and I have to switch very often to an administrator which is absolutely inconvenient as i said.

Too many questions remain. Good luck, though.

Sidewinder

Guru

• Experience: Familiar
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 12:44:43 PM »
Very often an error appears when I switch the accounts so I have to restart the computer and it takes more time.

Can you document the error?

Yeah I know about run as but what if I want to have an access as an administrator?! Also sometimes I have problems with some instalation files if I use the run as utility.

What problems?

If you have an administrator login and the password, you should be able to use fast user switching to switch into an administrator account.

Either there is more to this story (a school computer perhaps?) or the system has other problems.

Microsoft spends big bucks preventing back door elevations of privileges.  8)
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.

-- Albert Einstein

ŽOŠK

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 01:02:58 PM »
Can you document the error?

Well, the system crashes and doesn't allow me to type the Administrator's username and password.

What problems?

For example if I want to update my skype and I run the install file using run as after finishing the installation the new version is not installed and I have to switch on Administrator's account to install it.

Either there is more to this story (a school computer perhaps?) or the system has other problems.

It is  my computer at home.

But, guys, of course I can switch the accounts in normal way, of course I can use runas , I'm just interestig i it is possible to get an administrator's privileges from Command Prompt. I don't want to hack anything (hah only I know the administrator's password on my computer  :P).

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 02:18:52 PM »
Try pressing the Windows Logo Key and L
(WinLogo+L)
If you have the administrator password, then you can log in as Admin.

If User Account Switching is dissabled, it must be installed first.

Click Start, then Logoff, and select "Switch User" to do the same as Logokey+L

diablo416

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 09:11:46 PM »

if your an xp user you dont have to switch users to be administrator,
i think its in the right click menu of the file you want access to.. but you do need to no the administrators password..