Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Operating system not found - HD not showing in Bios  (Read 12853 times)

Jeffneedshelp

Re: Operating system not found - HD not showing in Bios
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2007, 04:12:19 PM »
I removed the HDD and put in another machine. BIOS DID see the hard drive. i took the HDD from the working machine put it in and got the same message, operating system not found.  Checked in bios and still the same.
Primary IDE control: NONE
secondary IDE control: CD-ROM

Raptor

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2007, 04:28:56 PM »
Guess the laptop has had it, then.

Jeffneedshelp

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2007, 04:36:06 PM »
well it needs to give it back

Raptor

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2007, 04:39:35 PM »
I don't think there is much you can do, laptop parts are very hard to replace. But you can try looking for a broken one that has the parts that you need.

Jeffneedshelp

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2007, 05:11:03 PM »
there is no way i am giving up that easy. this notebook is not fried.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;Di when i get it fixed i will send you a picture of me sitting behind it ;D ;D ;D ;D

Raptor

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2007, 05:15:55 PM »
Alright, let us know what fixed it.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2007, 07:51:59 PM »
I removed the HDD and put in another machine. BIOS DID see the hard drive. i took the HDD from the working machine put it in and got the same message, operating system not found.  Checked in bios and still the same.
Primary IDE control: NONE
secondary IDE control: CD-ROM

How did Windows report the drive in the other machine ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Jeffneedshelp

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2007, 07:20:52 AM »
Hello,
Well after a few nights of staying up till 3am, searching every web forum, troubleshooting, learning how to creat cd rom boot disk, running utilities in dos, resetting cmos...you name it i did it.
Last night at 2:56am, I was just about to give up! I put the hDD back in, this time WITHOUT screws and the cover, pushed the power button...WELCOME TO WINDOWS XP....I felt like i won the lottery. 
Thanks for the help Raptor. She fires right up with no screws holding the drive in. When i removed the HDD (the first time)  it appered to be sitting at a slight angle. Any ideas, I figured the ribbon is not sitting correctly.  Once again thanks. The web site this forum is on, has been alot of help just learning about bios and cmos  :o 8)