Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I can hear sound, but no card detected.  (Read 3590 times)

Michael

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Experience: Experienced
    I can hear sound, but no card detected.
    « on: October 21, 2004, 04:14:48 PM »
    I am having a problem with my sound card. I can hear sound, but there is no card detected under the Audio Properties window. I aslo get a message when I click on volume under the Accesseries, Entertainment section that says "no active mixer available". When I went to the system information program it says under status, "error". My card is Conexant AC-Link Audio. My system is XP with service pack 2.

Raptor

Re: I can hear sound, but no card detected.
    « Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 11:09:10 PM »
    Uninstall any drivers you may have and reinstall updated ones. Obtain official drivers, not Windows drivers (WDM)

As for your soundcard not being located in Audio Properties, can it be seen in the Device Manager?

(Right click My Computer -> Manage -> Device manager -> Control for Sound, Video and Games)

Michael

Topic Starter

Adviser
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 01:26:27 PM »
      I reinstalled the drivers and I have sound now. To answer your question, the sound card was shown in the Device Manager. I don't know what would have caused the drivers to go bad. I did just install the Knight Rider 2 demo the day before it stopped working. Maybe it had something to do with that.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 01:30:23 PM »
      I wouldn't know what causes drivers to go bad, perhaps you need to better maintain your Hard Disk Drives by defragmenting them more often or scanning for errors.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 01:38:55 PM »
      ...I did just install the Knight Rider 2 demo the day before it stopped working. Maybe it had something to do with that.

Most likely.  Most of those demo games will really screw things up.