Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Error messages when opening files  (Read 2584 times)

bam17

Error messages when opening files
« on: April 29, 2007, 10:51:53 PM »
I have searched all over for info to help me, but can't find anything, so I am open to any advice!  I have a ton of jpeg files on my EHD.  I have no problem opening them on my desktop (about 1.5 years old), but can only open random ones on my laptop.  Often when I try to open some of the files the screen freezes.  Sometimes part of the folder (containing anywhere from 1 to 200 jpgs) opens, sometimes all, but more then not they freeze up.  These are all files to use with Adobe Photoshop 7.  All of these files/folders open without problems on my desktop.  I usually get the "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem..." message but sometimes I get a Dr. Watson error. I have disabled scripting and all Windows updates are current.  Here is the other info I can offer on my laptop:
HP Pavilion zv6000
Windows XP home edition
Internet explorer 6
AMD Athlon 64 Processor
1.25 GB RAM
497 MHz

I'm not great with all the computer specifics, so please let me know if more info is needed!  I really need help with this and hope someone out there can help!
THANKS!

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    Re: Error messages when opening files
    « Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 10:55:31 PM »
    can you give the whole dr. watson error plz do they work on any other machines other than your desktop?? have you tried putting the trouble ones onto a cd or flash drive and then trying to open them?

bam17

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 11:15:23 PM »
    I personally haven't tried the files on other machines, but have friends who have with no problems.

I just tried opening the files trying to get the Dr. Watson Postmortem debugger message, but never got it, just a freeze in the machine.

I have the same problem when I try to open them from a flash drive on this computer.

P.S. The fan on my computer seems to be running constantly...is that normal? 

THANKS!

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
      « Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 11:16:43 PM »
      depends... ummm try uninstalling the problem program and reinstalling it

bam17

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 11:17:54 PM »
      I was having trouble for a bit, uninstalled Photoshop, no problems then for bit (like 1-2 weeks) and  now problems again...