Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: coincident xp-pro/Vista  (Read 3622 times)

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

coincident xp-pro/Vista
    « on: May 12, 2007, 11:23:03 AM »
    Since the beginning of the year we have purchased a "Cisnet' computer that came loaded with Win Xp-pro media center.
    Part of the purchase agreement included a "free" version of Windows vista home premium edition when it became available.
    The computer mfgr. has delivered to me the Vista software on a disk with the Microsoft key and holograms on it. There is a condition of use that it is only to be used on the Cisnet computer that we purchased.
    I have been following the many comments (elsewhere as well as CH) re people's thoughts on Vista. The consensus leans toward the negative side (for a variety of reasons) re Vista at the moment.

Is it possible to leave the XP-pro O/S installed on the computer and install the Vista on another partition on the same computer? Is it possible to installl the Vista on a removable H/D that is associated with the Cisnet?truenorth

Jonas Wauters

Adviser

• My Skatevids Check Signature
      Re: coincident xp-pro/Vista
      « Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 12:26:01 PM »
      Yes its completely possible to have to OSs.
      And yes its possible to install in on the removable hard drive. that's if that drive is large enough.
      Only I don't know how you can do that.
      I 'll follow this topic sow I learn how I can do that.

Jonas ;)

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

Re: coincident xp-pro/Vista
        « Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 11:36:16 AM »
         ;D This is an advisory to those that have posted on this thread and as well to those that may have viewed it and are awaiting a status report.
        1.While i have yet to overcome my wife's resistance to "fiddling " with her computer (the Cisnet) my natural couriosity obliged me to experiment with one of my own computers. A Sony Vaio model PCV-RXA 842.This computer and it's problems are related in CH "computer software" ""problem with Sony Vaio Desktop" .
        2.Besides the generous help from the CH forum members i could not have achieved the success i have now without the additional help of 2 web sites http://www.geekgirls.com/windowsxp_install.htmhttp://www.le.ac.uk/cc/dsss/docs/w2kprob.shtml .
        3. I now have a 3 partition 80gb H/D (Samsung) 2 C&D as FAT32 and a G as NTFS .
        4.C contains the original O/S Win98se (upgrade) that finally got the computer running again and G contains the XP-pro (corporate edition).
        5. I was initially getting a freeze at the "Windows Setup" again as i did in the other post i mentioned . This was the same problem that was occuring with the original Seagate H/D. This time i used a suggestion in the 'www.le.uk" site to press "F5" when the option to press "F6" comes up during the boot phase. This overcame the freeze and allowed me to complete the O/S (XP-pro) install to a successful result.
        6.While i have NOT yet attemted an install to a removable H/D given this experience i do not envisage a problem as as long as the removeable is plugged in and recognized one should be able to direct the O/S install there.
        7. In this instance i had to format and create a file sysyem on the 44gb of the Samsung H/D that was recognized but not formated (G). Once both were done it was there that i installed the XP-pro.
        8. The only item remaining to declare "mission accompished" is to regain the use of the 80gb Seagate H/D originally installed in the Vaio. Thanks again to all of you that endeavored to assist me in these related issues. truenorth