Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: desktop background  (Read 4482 times)

kjj

desktop background
« on: May 14, 2007, 02:08:36 PM »
My desktop background was black when i turned on thecomp. this morning.  I can't seem to put up a picture even when I go into change desktop background.  Nothing happens!  please help!

I checked out my security and all is well and running.  Seems I don't have a virus and the security runs daily checks.
I do have icons and am able to choose a color for the background, but when I browse for a picture and click nothing happens
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 03:28:37 PM by kjj »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: desktop background
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 02:46:36 PM »
Check all your connections with the power off including the monitor and the video card if you have one...

If you have icons but no background you may have the Smitfraud virus...list all the protection apps you currently have and when you ran them last.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

kjj

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 03:30:41 PM »
have checked all security and is running well.  I can change a color on the desktop but not a picture.  When I click the picutre icon noting happens

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 03:37:30 PM »
All of my security is up and running.  I can get a color to change on the desktop but when clicking on a picture nothing happens.
thanks for your help.

Above copied from PM recieved. I don't respond to issues via PM. I have found it is more effective to keep things in the open Forum where others may participate with different solutions...

.list all the protection apps you currently have and when you ran them last.

kjj

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 04:00:18 PM »
All of my security is up and running.  I can get a color to change on the desktop but when clicking on a picture nothing happens.
thanks for your help.

Above copied from PM recieved. I don't respond to issues via PM. I have found it is more effective to keep things in the open Forum where others may participate with different solutions...

.list all the protection apps you currently have and when you ran them last.
Sorry for the message. I'm new to this stuff and am figuring out how to send a post.  Ok, so I have norton, windows firewall, windows defender, and a host of other stuff that all runs on a daily basis.  They have all run today and did not show any problems.  I can change the color for the background but not chqange or put up a picture.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 05:02:28 PM »
If this is Win2K or XP go to Start/Run and type in sfc /scannow and let it run...

What happened prior to this ? ?

Any new software/games or hardware installed ? ?

kjj

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 07:33:37 PM »
If this is Win2K or XP go to Start/Run and type in sfc /scannow and let it run...

What happened prior to this ? ?

Any new software/games or hardware installed ? ?

I have windows vista and I don't think anything new has been downloaded.  i get automatic updates and sometimes things get downloaded, but they appear safe.  I have tried everything and think It may be something simple.  Any clues?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 07:45:03 PM »
The sfc fix exists in Vista as well...do you not have a Vista CD ? ?