Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Rant--- GeekSquad  (Read 6323 times)

unlovedwarrior

Topic Starter

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    Rant--- GeekSquad
    « on: May 23, 2007, 02:57:48 PM »
    ok last thurseday i was in bestbuy. helping my moms boyfriend pick out a new laptop.and well he pick out a nice hp with vista but the laptop didnt come with a restore cds. so he(the rep) told us to go to the geeksquad they had in the store to get one made. well we drop it off and he said it would be 1.5 hrs so we chilled there and waited and an hour went by and we went to check on it and they didnt even have it out of the box yet. so i asked him when he was going to start and he was like well come back by in the morning and it will be done, we were like its almost an hour drive for us and he needs it tomorrow because he was going out of town and my moms had to do some work so he was like ok ill start it now and we where like ok. we sat there and watched it. it took 30 mins. to start up for the first time like i new it would. then i was bored so i started to quiz him ( aka see if he knew anything) i asked him hat a memory dump was and what caused them and he answer right to my knowledge  then he ask me what i used for protection and he said that was way to much and i asked what he used(recommended) and i was like thats not enough (trend micro pc-cilin suite and webroot spysweeper. i told him that trend micro always messed up my winsocket and he was like well bring it in and we fix it, i told him i already fixed it and removed trend micro from my computer and reinstalled my protection ( at this point he was getting all Mr. know-it-all status) and we started to agrue and then he told me to try the 2007 version and i was like ok ill try what he recommeded and ill see if it stands up to my beloved army of programs. so far the PC-Cilin has messed with my winsocket( but yet i just install it today, my work give if out free, i just bought the webroot today also installed it did scans with both) the cilin found a smitfruad variant so i ran the smitfruadfix. i agreed with him the webroot was a good program. then we start to wait for the cds and they took a couple of hours to create. we were in the an hour after they closed the whole store down waiting for the cds and now it wont connect the any wireless router so i have to figure that out. but to test the programs out i will let my lil sister(high school) on my laptop for a few days then i will scan the computer see what it finds and then uninstall the trend micro and install my other programs let them have at it and see what they find. then come to my conclusion.

sorry if this is long and boreing but i had to vent.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
      • Obituary
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Rant--- GeekSquad
    « Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 05:28:34 PM »
    unlovedwarrior that was a very good rant/vent. ;D

I really enjoyed it.

So,I guess Geek Squad sucks. Bwahahaha!
    Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

helper

Intermediate
      « Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 05:35:10 PM »
      if CH was a buisness, it would have put GeekSqaud out of buisness   ;)

unlovedwarrior

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 07:16:39 PM »
        very much so helper

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 04:05:32 AM »
        Actually my son started working for Geek Squad during his summer break from college. He is very thorough with his work and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to a person in need.

Their service is expensive (very) to get simple things done, but apparently people who just spent $1000+ on a nice laptop are willing to spend anpther $150 to get it optimized before even leaving the store. That includes removing all of the crappola beyond the basic OS from the manufacturer, getting a real backup DVD made to reinstall rather than relying only on a recovery partition, etc.

For those that don't "get it", it is an option.

lordvader781

Intermediate
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 05:59:20 AM »
          I find it funny that everytime I would take my computers to the GeekSquad for running slow or any other problem their answer was to reformat it. Thats something I can easily do myself. Instead of taking the time to see what spyware, malware, or any other harmful thing was causing my computer to crawl, they would rather charge me $50+ to do something any of us here can do. The only time they actually seemed to know what was wrong with one of my old computers, was when it had bad memory.  Of course they asked if I would like to have them install the new memory for like $50.

I, on several occasions, tried to get a job with the GeekSquad, but they said I wasn't qualified. They said I needed some kind of degree or certification. Yet, somehow I know how to fix most problems that arise with my computers. If not, I come here.

A couple times during the winter when I had to take my sister's old laptop down for service I wore my Pittsburgh Technical Institute (PTI) sweatshirt.  They asked what I was studying, I said I was there for computer programming. Some of them had a look on there face, as if to say that what I was learning at school was above their heads. I'm not saying they know nothing, but when they claim to have all these certifications and degrees, it's funny when I'm the one who ends up determining the problem.

unlovedwarrior

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 08:44:21 AM »
            sorry GX not to bag on where your family works, but i hope you son is one of the few that will actually fix the computer and the user not try to cover up the problem or halfway fix it... but like the topic says this is just a rant/vent nothing more im not trying to change anyones views or opinions on geeksquad

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 11:55:36 AM »
            If you don't know what you're doing; prepare to pay.

Computers are a luxury item; don't ever forget that. Now if you had to pay for things such as medical care and housing.. Wow, boy, that'd be a different story.

If Geeksquad doesn't live up to their standards, I'm sure there are several organizations where you can launch complaints. If not, well just torch the *censored* place down.

By the way, we're not making any progress here unloved. Start using break and white lines.

I've read all of it; and I can't really see in why you had to vent. So he recommended a program that runs fine on thousands of PCs and it happens to mess up your 'winsocket'? Mind that I haven't heard of anything like that since Windows 98 and a huge spyware infestation.. So I'm beginning to think it's not the virus scanner that you're using that causes the problems.

unlovedwarrior

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 11:59:54 AM »
              yes it was the scanner because as soon as i uninstalled it and fix my winsocket i had no problem then later i reinstalled it and after the first reboot it messed it up..

i dont care that he recommended it.. just the way his tone and aditude were is what made me say *censored* mate

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
                • Yes
                • Technology News and Information
              • Experience: Guru
              « Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 02:17:54 PM »
              Avast, everyone, Avast

I am not an incredibly big fan of going out to get a computer fixed.
              If only more people knew about free online resources.

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 04:38:03 PM »
              yes it was the scanner because as soon as i uninstalled it and fix my winsocket i had no problem then later i reinstalled it and after the first reboot it messed it up..

i dont care that he recommended it.. just the way his tone and aditude were is what made me say *censored* mate

Did you try Superantispyware?

unlovedwarrior

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 04:57:30 PM »
                yep of course i did but the only protections on it right now are spysweeper and trend micro

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
                  • Obituary
                • Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 05:36:37 PM »
                So,GX1_Man.It is really nice to know your son is in college.

It's a real nice feeling ain't it?

Robert  ;)
                Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

GX1_Man

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2007, 07:13:24 PM »
                One is a senior there and the other is starting this fall.

reaper_tbs

Apprentice

• Yes
                  • Google
                • Experience: Experienced
                « Reply #14 on: May 24, 2007, 08:02:48 PM »
                what is the price for college over there? (i'm assuming it's a different country to mine)
                Computer Hope

If I don't reply, I'm probably out returning videotapes.