Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor won't turn on after hard drive crash  (Read 4656 times)

bignad98

Monitor won't turn on after hard drive crash
« on: May 25, 2007, 09:06:30 AM »
I have several problems with my machine, and they don't seem to match up with the forum answers.  My hardware specs are off of memory; I'll try to update after I get home.

Video: NVidia GEForce 5200
Audio: Creative Live! 5.1
Processor: Athlon XP 3000+ (???)
Motherboard: Viper (???) MicroATX
Old HDD: Maxtor 40GB, ~2002
New HDD: Western Digital 160GB, bought yesterday

For about two years, my computer has often had trouble coming out of sleep mode.  I believe this started after I replaced my power supply with an Antec 350W (??.)  I don't have the exact model with me, but I'll try to get it when I get home.

Since my computer wouldn't come out of sleep mode, I'd have to reboot and go through Scan Disk for a couple of years now.  in the last four weeks, Scan Disk has started to find several errors.  It erased the entire folder of Internet Explorer, and it found several other problems.  After a 30-minute Scan Disk, my computer would start to load XP and then reboot.  Since Windows didn't load completely, Scan Disk would run again.  This process would repeat until I turned the system off at the power button, waited five minutes, and then started again (booted with no problems).  If I also did this when the computer went to sleep, often I could skip the Scan Disk and load straight into Windows.

Yesterday, my machine completed the BIOS startup and then hung.  It gave me the "missing or corrupted hal.dll" message, and I decided to reinstall XP.  When I put in the disk (upgrade from 98) and chose Setup, the program told me that it couldn't find XP on my hard drive.  When I rebooted and selected Recovery, I changed to the C: drive and tried dir.  I was told there was a problem with drive enumeration.

At this point I assumed that my hard drive failed, so I bought a new one and installed it in the chassis.  Now when I boot up the computer, I get the POST beep, but the monitor never turns on.  I removed all other cards (audio card, Speedstream wireless B card) except the graphics card.  Monitor didn't turn on.  I moved the monitor from the video card to the motherboard's onboard VGA port.  Monitor didn't turn on.  I disconnected the new drive and reconnected the old drive.  Monitor didn't turn on.

I've actually had this monitor problem before; it seems like anytime I've replaced a motherboard/processor, I had to reboot several times before the monitor would click on.  This happened with my old CRT as well as my newer (~2005) LCD, and it happened with my current video card and my previous (Voodoo 3?).  Eventually it would turn on, and then I wouldn't have a problem again until the next time I tinkered in my case.  I don't have another monitor or computer to try swapping out, although I'll keep trying.    I don't think my graphics card suddenly went bad, and it seems unlikely that the monitor would as well.  Again, the POST completes fine; the monitor just won't turn on.

Questions:
1.  Has anyone experienced this kind of intermittent monitor problem before?  Could its failure to turn on be related to what I believe was a hard drive failure?

2.  Assuming I can figure out the monitor problem, can Windows 98 be installed on a 160GB drive?  Since I only have the XP upgrade, I'd have to first install 98 and then upgrade to XP.  Would it be better to upgrade to Vista?

3.  Since the computer was working fine in the years previous to this problem, is the refusal to exit sleep mode most likely related to the power supply?  Is there a fix for this?

Sorry for the long message - I'm pretty frustrated here.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Monitor won't turn on after hard drive crash
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 09:35:05 AM »
In answer to #2 you do not have to install Win98 first...just insert the CD when the XP install asks for it...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

bignad98

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 12:15:46 PM »
I brought my computer into the lab and checked the monitor.  My monitor works when hooked up to another computer; another good monitor does not work when connected to my motherboard port or graphics card port.  It doesn't work with either the new hard drive connected, the old hard drive connected, or no hard drive connected (other monitor never turns on.)

Is my mobo fried?  I am short on money, and I don't want to replace anything I don't need to...

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 03:17:27 PM »
I would try swapping in a known good PSU of the same or greater wattage befor suspecting the MBoard...

bignad98

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 08:08:32 AM »
I figured out what the problem is, kind of...Sometimes the monitor won't turn on if the graphics card is installed, and sometimes it will.  I took out the graphics card and used the onboard VGA port, and it turned on right away.  I reinstalled Windows (thanks for the tip about not having to install 98 first) and installed all my other hardware.

Now the computer is working with the graphics card installed again, although I don't know why it does sometimes and doesn't others.  Anyway, thanks for the help.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 08:51:17 AM »
The vid card could have become unseated in working in the case or the contacts were dirty and re-seating it moved the gunk around.
But good to hear you are up and running...