Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Direct X Version  (Read 7292 times)

dhinds

Topic Starter

Beginner

• My Katrina Hat
    Direct X Version
    « on: May 27, 2007, 11:03:41 AM »
    I purchased Vegas Movie Studio+DVD and my playback is very jerky. Sony's (which is not very helpful) knowledge base said I may have to install a newer verison of Direct X. I now have 4.06 and 6.0 came with Movie Studio. My question is what does DirectX do and what does .net framework 1.1 do, which is a recommendation by Sony as will but only for the Platnum package which I do not have. Any recommendations on hardware adjustments as well would be appreciated.
    Memories fade with time, replenish them with new experiences.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Direct X Version
    « Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 11:32:34 AM »
    From Our Archives

.net framework is supplied by the Mothership so is safe to install....not sure why this would be a requirement though.

DirectX is up to version 10 so you would do well to update...make sure it's the right version for the OS you are running.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

dhinds

Topic Starter

Beginner

• My Katrina Hat
      « Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 06:29:19 PM »
      Thanks Patio version DirectX 9.0 came with the software package but will find 10 and install. Also I have a Creative Audigy 2 sound card. Would it be prudent to update those drivers?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 07:48:43 PM »
      Newer drivers are not always better drivers...if the sound is working fine i would let sleeping dogs lie.

Does your OS support DirectX 10 ? ?

I could be mistaken but i think it's Win XP and up...

dhinds

Topic Starter

Beginner

• My Katrina Hat
        « Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 08:34:32 AM »
        I am using XP so 10 should work but 9 didn't cure my jerky video editing playback so I suspect it is the video not the audio. I have ordered 1 GB of RAM for my desktop which will come in sometime this week. I hope that will do it but I am already above the min requirement for the software so I am leary. Would video codec have anything to do with the playback rate?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 09:10:13 AM »
        Let's first try a different player to narrow down the culprit...DLoad and install VLC which is free and see if the playback is any smoother on the same files...

Here Ya Go...

dhinds

Topic Starter

Beginner

• My Katrina Hat
          « Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 09:40:43 AM »
          Installed VLC which plays Mpeg 2 media fine but AVI I created with Movie Studio shows as just a black screen. I also noticed that when I am using Movie Studio and a video is in playback my mouse is jerky as well. Is that an indication that my memory resources are lacking? Perhaps the new ram will make a difference after all.

dhinds

Topic Starter

Beginner

• My Katrina Hat
            « Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 09:54:11 AM »
            Well I spoke too soon, VLC plays MPEG 2 jerky just like Media Player or any other video player I have on my computer. Does that tell you any thing?

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 12:09:58 PM »
            Run an Everest Home report and post it so we know what machine we're dealing with...

dhinds

Topic Starter

Beginner

• My Katrina Hat
              « Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 05:53:06 PM »
              I downloaded Everest but this is a pretty complex analytical program. I understand you know all this but some of us have to take it slow and easy. Do you have other instructions to guide me through what kind of test you want me to run? I want you to know I appreciate all your help but downloading software from sites that I do not know or have never heard of makes me very nervious and I know I cannot be alone in this. I have been burned before by ignorance on my part. I know you have said you trust these various softwares but I am concerned about compatiblity with what I have on my computer. I trust you enough to do this so far but I want you to know that I feel dubious about doing these downloads. I know you would not guide me astray. Prehaps I am just too new to this forum. I truely thank you for your time and help... Signed Chicken Little.

dhinds

Topic Starter

Beginner

• My Katrina Hat
                « Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 06:20:29 PM »
                I get a maximum post notice to try and post the file from everest. This is too frustrating I think.

dhinds

Topic Starter

Beginner

• My Katrina Hat
                  « Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 09:03:12 AM »
                  OK I got a fresh start this morning and decided to put it on the web so if you go here
                  http://dennishinds.com/report.htm you can see the whole report. Thanks

beach_horse

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 09:32:36 AM »
                  I had been experiencing trouble with all of my media players, QT, WMP,and InterVideo, I just downloaded VLC, and voila, no more messages from microsoft that they encountered a problem and had to close.  You guys are the bomb, thanks

patio

• Genius
                  • Maud' Dib
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 08:13:13 PM »
                  OK I got a fresh start this morning and decided to put it on the web so if you go here
                  http://dennishinds.com/report.htm you can see the whole report. Thanks

Yep, Everest is pretty thorough...You already have DirectX 9.0 installed so 10.0 would be an upgrade.

What is the small removable drive you have ? ?
                  Probably nothing to do with your issue...just curious.

dhinds

Topic Starter

Beginner

• My Katrina Hat
                    « Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 07:56:11 AM »
                    The small 1GB Flash Drive is something I keep in my USB just in-case I want to throw somwthing on it. I have had it out and still had this problems so I don't think that is it. Today I am going to move all my video clips to the drive I have the program on which might speed things up a bit. Does Windows codec have anything to do with working with the Video Movie Studio clips or does it use its own decompression. I keep thinking the jerkyness looks like a compression decompression issue. thanks