Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microsoft Outlook E-mails intercepted?  (Read 4565 times)

Raptor

Microsoft Outlook E-mails intercepted?
« on: October 29, 2004, 11:49:11 AM »
I have been getting complains that certain people wish to buy a domain name of our ISP and that these domain names are bought by someone else three days after the request has been sent, however, their E-mail never arrived.

The ISP helpdesk said they were 'shocked' and donot understand how it could have happened.

Is it possible to intercept E-mail? The user of one PC does not have any Service Pack installed (Illegal version..) and thus, does not have all the security updates required. (Correct me if I am wrong, but you do need SP2 to have each and every update, right?)

Is it even possible that E-mails are intercepted? Would a 'cybersquatter' go through such lengths or do they have inadequate security? (They donot have a software firewall, only a router firewall) use dodgy programs (Spydocotor, Urlybird, whatever the heck that is) and haven't got a clue about Internet Security.

Their E-mail provider is our Internet Service Provider and they use  Outlook to view their E-mails.

Any thoughts or recommendations are well obliged.

merlin_2

Re: Microsoft Outlook E-mails intercepted?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 02:03:42 PM »
has the user reported that his/her mail has been bounced back?...is the mail still sitting on the server?and was never sent? info>http://www.mailmsg.com/carnivore.htm
http://www.leafdigital.com/class/topics/security/printable.html
« Last Edit: October 30, 2004, 02:09:32 PM by merlin_2 »

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 03:14:19 PM »
I seriously doubt the FBI is involved. ;D

Although that does explain the black vans parked outside..

The ISP claims the E-mail never arrived and the people who sent it say it wasn't returned.

Even though no SP could be installed on one machine, it does seem to have most (If not all) security updates. No firewall installed, though. I warned them many times but they're too stubborn, even now they won't let me take proper precautions for them.

Thanks for the links so far, Merlin, if you have any recommendations (software or settings) that I could use once these people break free from the reality they're currently in thinking their creditcard information, etc, etc is safe even though they've seen it's not..

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 03:46:29 PM »
Raptor you can only recommend these things if people dont take any notice its their  ;DUTL ;D ;DK..one tell them to use the webmail..and forget outlook...or get them to encypt emails...if they will not use a firewall..tell them to buy a netgear router<hardwall--firewall> another link>http://www.sharewarejunkies.com/winsecur.htm
« Last Edit: October 30, 2004, 03:49:54 PM by merlin_2 »

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2004, 03:21:45 AM »
There is a Qtec router installed. I told them to use webmail, but their opinions were quite divided on that.

I'll speak to them again today and let you know if they'll allow me to install proper security software.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004, 10:30:30 AM »
or use rats<remote access transfer system> and enable their security for them....another trick is to have your emails on your server...128ssl<padlock>

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2004, 10:45:34 AM »
128ssl<padlock>

Explain me that, if you will

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 10:51:32 AM »
This site may explain more>http://www.freessl.com/ssl-certificate/ssl-terms.html   whilst on adsl 576 broardband  www.pipex.net had this on their email...webpage...secure...like a bank...

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2004, 10:53:08 AM »
I'll look into that webpage.

merlin_2

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2004, 11:02:23 AM »
Raptor..my old mate your cannot educate the uneducated?...pcs should sold....like cars...take some kind of test...but having said that....whereis the m$oft/dos command manual... a quote from bg keep the idiot in the dark...tell them nothing...much..all emails should be ssl128 bit..
« Last Edit: October 31, 2004, 11:03:19 AM by merlin_2 »

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2004, 11:04:10 AM »
Raptor..my pld mate your cannot educate the uneducated?...pcs should sold....like cars...take some kind of test.

A car, everyone (seems to) need(s) but a PC is still somewhat of a luxury. I guess if they'd make people take tests (Which is a darn good idea and would definitely get my vote) before allowing them to buy one and/or connect to the Internet'd probably make sales drop by.. A lot. And you know Micro$oft wouldn't want that...

merlin_2

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2004, 11:22:42 AM »
Good point ......its been......noted...M_2