Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: no network connection after re-installing windows xp  (Read 4738 times)

fancy

no network connection after re-installing windows xp
« on: June 05, 2007, 07:08:29 PM »
We re-installed Windows XP using our system CD and now there is no network connection recognized when pulling up the connection information window from Control Panel. We had time warner cable over to look at it and they said it's to do with the computer, they can't fix it. Modem/router is connected and working fine, the other computers in the house have internet connection. The Cable guy said the computer simply doesn't recognize that there is a network/internet card, so when pulling up the 'network connection' information there's just nothing in the computer.

How can I fix this? I have tried telling Windows to "setup an internet connection now" but it can't do it because it doesn't have the ability to sense a dial tone.

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
    Re: no network connection after re-installing windows xp
    « Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 07:47:36 PM »
    Is the modem driver installed?

viking

Adviser
    • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
      « Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 10:39:32 PM »
      Is the NIC (network adapter card) driver installed? You don't have to worry about dial tone, you don't use a modem for pstn = phone line, you use a "cable connection".
      Can you see the network adapter in Device Manager?

fancy

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 11:25:25 AM »
      Is the NIC (network adapter card) driver installed? You don't have to worry about dial tone, you don't use a modem for pstn = phone line, you use a "cable connection".
      Can you see the network adapter in Device Manager?

I just got off the phone with a Dell Tech person and they have helped me get up to the point of the Network Adapter problem, they gave me somet hings to try and are going to call back in an hour or two. But no there is no Network Adapter anything in the Device Manager. The Ethernet Controller under Other Devices still has a yellow ! next to it. I have tried to install the drivers for both the Network and the Ethernet but they take me in circles and end up with me having to go online to search for appropriate drivers, but I can't go online  ???