Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Connection slow to major sites  (Read 2968 times)

way2goofy

Topic Starter

Rookie

Connection slow to major sites
    « on: June 06, 2007, 01:24:51 PM »
    I have high speed cable connection. I've tested speed with their tech. support online and it is normal 493 kps outbound 4.83 inbound. Don't have high cpu usage or processing running abnormal. Running windows XP home edition - Internet Explorer 6.
    When I go to favorites I click on Ebay or Google and the time it takes to connect is all of a sudden like I was back on dial-up. Sometimes I get the unable to connect message & refresh and I connect. I've pinged the sites, some come back timed out.
    some come back 3 of 4 successful some, all 4 pings successful. Once I'm in the site with a message board like this site it is slow loading the next page also. I done diag. on the Microsoft site for corrupt files, all ok Help does anyone know what it could be.
    It just started yesterday and I haven't downloaded anything new or changed any settings.

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
      Re: Connection slow to major sites
      « Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 02:58:48 PM »
      Try downloading and running CCleaner (without the Yahoo! toolbar).

Or maybe your computer has spyware or a virus on it. Some good free antivirus/antispyware programs are AVG free, AVG antispyware, Ad-Aware SE Personal, and Spybot Search and Destroy.