Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: no sound  (Read 5335 times)

wbrye

no sound
« on: November 02, 2004, 09:25:03 PM »
i can not get sound on anything on my computer.  when i try to play media player is says "cannot play back the audio stream: no audio hardware is available or the hardware is not responding."  It worked before.  I am running win 98

merlin_2

Re: no sound
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 09:53:39 PM »
see what ...dxdiag...has to say....type dxdiag in the run box..

wbrye

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 08:41:42 AM »
i went to dxdiag and when i went under sounds 1 and 2 and did a test it told me that sound resources in use by another caller.  I do know that the device id is modem wave/lucent_win_modem\isapnp, if that helps.  also there was something called game compatible device(emulated).

MalikTous

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 04:37:36 PM »
Your sound device seems to have vanished. The Lucent Winmodem wave device is designed to support voice phone through the modem only, and is not a full featured audio device.

You may have a Realtek, NVidia, or VIA AC97 Audio Device on your mainboard, and you may need to go into BIOS to switch that on. Or you may just have to mount a real sound device in a PCI slot or on a USB port. Either one usually needs drivers installed.

wbrye

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 05:53:48 PM »
hey man im computer stupid.  how do i go into the bios and switch it on?????
Your sound device seems to have vanished. The Lucent Winmodem wave device is designed to support voice phone through the modem only, and is not a full featured audio device.

You may have a Realtek, NVidia, or VIA AC97 Audio Device on your mainboard, and you may need to go into BIOS to switch that on. Or you may just have to mount a real sound device in a PCI slot or on a USB port. Either one usually needs drivers installed.

MalikTous

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 06:02:46 PM »
Hold the DEL, ESC, F1, F2, F10, and/or Control key down during boot, it varies between machines. Most standard (home built or local shop custom) PCs will use DELete. HP/Compaq often uses F1, but those old Vectras used the Control key. Some laptops use some really odd combinations...

Navigate through the menus to where you can switch the AC97 Audio device on, or off if you are trying to run a real sound card, then exit and save the settings. Put the Recovery Disk in when the system requests drivers...