Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Num Lock problem  (Read 5508 times)

mottiss

Num Lock problem
« on: June 14, 2007, 01:12:27 PM »
 :'(I'm running Windows Vista and Internet Explorer browser. My question is  :'(the number lock does not acivate the key pad. have tried ps/2 and usb Keyboards. Unit is newly built. has Pentium D 915, 2gb DDR II, Abit IP-95 Mb. have run desktop mechanic to clean registry---Help

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Num Lock problem
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 01:35:25 PM »
The num lock does not light up when your computer is started up, you mean?
Or the num lock does not work at all?

What version of Vista are you using? Basic, Premium, or Ultimate (or another version)

Possible causes:
Incorrect BIOS value
Improper setup of the Users option (user login settings, with the "Require CTRL+ALT+DEL before the login screen?"
Pre-installed Vista system was incorrectly configured by the computer manufacture.

mottiss

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 01:56:34 PM »
the num lock light is on but keypad does not respond. using vista home premium.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 03:38:36 PM »
Is this a PC, or a laptop?

mottiss

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 07:18:40 PM »
the comp is desktop, this my fourth sys i have put together, the mobo is one that i had in another sys but didn't have this problem. although i had a bad checksum because of a fan that was not properly seated on the MB, maybe i fried something? i have a new MB and am thinking of installing to see if its MB problems or software. also tried registry cleaner and installing wireless KB to see if the software drivers with the KB would solve the problem but no luck, however i do like the new KB  ;D-------thanks for the replys----Mo

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 12:43:18 AM »
Checksum error?
Do you remember what the message it gave to you was?
(I dont recall checksums being caused by fans.... just CMOS Data, which brings my next great clonfusion:

Have you tried resetting the CMOS?
(Power off the PC (duh), unplug it, Remove the CMOS battery for 10 >minutes< and then reinsert, and plug everything back in, and restart)

mottiss

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 04:51:34 PM »
the fan was on the heat sink. what i should have said was the heatsink was not seated over the processor properly. the comp shut down about three times, put rhe checksum question in my search engine and one of the suggestions was that the  heatsink could be not seated properly. i installed a new hestsink and fan after pulling the board out. i installed a new board with the same processor in the comp with a new heatsink and fan, that unit runs fine. i used the old board in the sys that i am having a problem with. it has a new heatsink and fan installed also, it has the problem with the numlock problem, so i don't know if its a hardware problem or a driver problem in a new installation of Vista on this sys. don't know anything about pulling the battery????? Hope this is not rwo confusing!!!!!!1 ;D thanks for the help ----Mo
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 06:53:13 PM by mottiss »