Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: start up is slow?????  (Read 4617 times)

justin

start up is slow?????
« on: April 07, 2004, 09:48:30 PM »
it can take up to fifeteen minets to load my os?

its windows 98 on a 96 compaq?? :-X >:( >:(

Detox

Re: start up is slow?????
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 10:08:22 PM »
Welcome to the club...my unresolved issue:
http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=1080901320

Dont know what to tell you...sorry

merlin

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 03:51:35 PM »
type msconfig in the run box and disable some of the start-up prgrams?

justin

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 09:29:49 AM »
i did try that it is still slow i got rid of all but what was needed? >:(  :-X >:(

justin

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 09:17:00 AM »
help

sierradad

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2004, 02:28:07 PM »
First, go to Run>Programs>Accessories>System Tools, then click on Disk Cleanup. Tell it to empty Temp, Temporary Internet Files, Recycle Bin. Then, if you have old programs you don't use any more, go to Control Panel>Add/Remove and get rid of them (uninstall). After all that, go back to System Tools and run Defrag (Defragment Drive....choose c: drive). I suspect you haven't done this for awhile, and it may take some time for defrag to finish. When it is done, reboot and try your browser again. It should be much faster.

*** EDIT - When done, follow Merlin's suggestion and get spy sweeper (or AdAware, Spybot, or something), and run it to get rid of "nasties" (spyware, malware, etc) END EDIT ***
« Last Edit: April 15, 2004, 02:34:14 PM by sierradad »

merlin

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2004, 02:30:42 PM »
download spysweeper from www.webroot.com and advanced system optimizer from www.systemtweak.com..and try skinning your pc get rid of the junk?

justin

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2004, 02:07:10 PM »
i dont have internet im using a school computer.

merlin

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2004, 03:22:39 PM »
hit the f8 safe and chose selective start-up?what ram have you and what hardrive size?also try diskcleanup?

justin

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2004, 09:48:06 AM »
128 ram/ 1.5gig harddrive/ its an old computer its a 96 compaq
i do disk clean up at startup?

sierradad

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2004, 10:12:37 AM »
First, go to Run>Programs>Accessories>System Tools, then click on Disk Cleanup. Tell it to empty Temp, Temporary Internet Files, Recycle Bin. Then, if you have old programs you don't use any more, go to Control Panel>Add/Remove and get rid of them (uninstall). After all that, go back to System Tools and run Defrag (Defragment Drive....choose c: drive). I suspect you haven't done this for awhile, and it may take some time for defrag to finish. When it is done, reboot and try your browser again. It should be much faster.

*** EDIT - When done, follow Merlin's suggestion and get spy sweeper (or AdAware, Spybot, or something), and run it to get rid of "nasties" (spyware, malware, etc) END EDIT ***

My earlier post about disk cleanup.......

Don77

Starter

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2004, 10:55:49 AM »
    Can you tell us what you have running in your start up ? from msconfig. just so we understand you do not have internet access on the 96 compaq, correct ?

Don ;D

justin

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2004, 12:57:17 PM »
    i will have to check i will tell u tomarow.i have that i no ov system try and internet expoler i got rid of all of them but them.?