Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: a challenge for you....  (Read 8044 times)

shell26

a challenge for you....
« on: June 22, 2007, 12:45:11 PM »
Big problem, was hoping you guys could help. (again)
A few days ago, i had the famous blue screen of death when i was shutting down (Win XP pro). I think it said Kernal-data-error.
It happened again the next day and i managed to write down what it said:

kernel-stack-inpage error

Tech info:
***STOP: 0xoooooo77 (0xcooooooE, 0xcooooooE, 0xoooooooo, 0xo1DD6ooo)

I looked at the error logs in admin tools and there were several "bad block on drive c" messages.

The next day, it didnt boot and gave me the message "boot from disk  failed, please insert system disk and press enter"
I resarted the machine and it booted ok.

Now I cant get it to boot atall. If i try to go into safe mode, it will get to the bit where all the text appears on the screen and then after a very quick flash of the blue screen again, it restarts itself.
I have tried  the last known config option but it does the same thing- gets so far then restarts by itself. The furthest i have got it to is the winxp logo.
It will however let me get into the bios but being so inexperienced, i didnt think it would be wise to do much fiddling about there.
I guess theres prob not much you can do from your end about this but is there any way i can retrieve my data from the disk?
Some silly sod didnt backup any of her files.  :-[

shell26

Re: a challenge for you....
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 12:49:01 PM »
sorry- forgot to add, there hasnt been any new software/hardware installed lately and i am protected by zonelabs fwall, avg antiv and antispy.
My last hjt log was ok and it was a 16gig hd. (pretty old pc)

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 02:43:54 PM »
    shell27 .... This is a shot in the dark, but if you go into the bios, look and see if the hard drive is being detected....... it's possible the hard drive has had it or is failing.

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

shell26

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 03:01:53 PM »
    Thanks dl65, havnt spoken to you for a while. It is detecting my hard drive and i guess i do need it replaced. Is there any way I can get my files back?
     :'(

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 03:10:55 PM »
      shell27 .......  There's several things you might try.

1. remove the hd and install it as a slave in another pc and see if you can get your data ......... or ........

2. remove the hard drive and put it in the freezer overnight....... reinstall it in the morning and fire it up ......more often than not this works.... but if it lets you in get your data off ASAP.

Good luck and let us know how you make out .

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

shell26

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 03:17:14 PM »
      Thanks! Will let you know how it goes!
       ;)

kickenchicken

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 03:30:42 PM »
      if you do need a new hdd, id recommend this drive from newegg
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822144203

shell26

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 02:39:08 AM »
      Dl65, help!!!!
      Tried your suggestion but same problem.
      I brought my daughters pc downstairs (winxp) and have began using that. Went to boot yesterday and i had the blue screen of death on that too!!!
      Here's the error message:

0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0xf927AEOB, 0xF97ADF08, 0x00000000)
      srescan.sys - Address F927AEOB base at F9273000 datestamp 46699718

Tried all last night to boot but it would only go into safe mode. Tried to boot into last known good config but it would just restart like my other machine.Tried again this morning, failed a few times, so i tried  last config option again and it worked- i'm on it now.
      Completely baffled to how i have manged to screw up both computers. Been racking my brains to think of what i could have done.
      The only thing i can come up with is that i ran toni arts cleaner on them both??????
      I have looked at my dad's pc and there was a folder on his that i didnt have on both of mine. It was windows advantage folder.  clutching at straws now   ???

shell26

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 09:40:19 AM »
      On both pcs i have opened emails from smsale.hk, eoclam.hk and isbro.hk. Found out a little about these senders and they seem to be linked to malware. Could this be the possible cause or wouldnt they do that much damage? I have run avg antispy and anti virus, both came back clean. I have posted a question on the spyware thread regarding the emails but i was hoping to keep this thread going if thats ok incase its a hardware problem and nothing to do with the malware.

shell26

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 05:47:08 AM »
      Downloaded superantispyware onto my daughters pc as suggested in the spyware thread and it is now booting up ok (after deleting starware.adware.)
      Now that it is up and running i would like to try putting my hd from original computer as a slave into the working one to try and boot it.
      Sorry to sound thick but can someone post me a link on how to do it? Or give me some brief instructions.
      Got a rough idea but dont want to mess this up aswell.  :-[

TehGerg

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 09:17:56 AM »
      Well on the back of a hard drive there are jumpers.  The jumpers on a single drive computer are either set to CS which is cable select or they are set to M which is master.  There is a S on there also that is slave.  You want the drive that you yanked from your computer to be setup as a slave and you want the drive in your daughters computer set to M for master.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 03:09:27 PM »
      Now that it is up and running i would like to try putting my hd from original computer as a slave into the working one to try and boot it.

This is always a bad idea with XP...a HDD from one machine will rarely boot installed into another machine unless they are close to identical which is rare unless you bought 2 of the same originally.
      XP needs and will look for the drivers for your machine...find the drivers for her machine and have a hissy fit.

There are instances of data loss and making the drive un-bootable as well in this scenario.

Since your original goal was to retrieve data use the slave method on her machine and backup everything you need and then return it to your machine and do a format and clean install of XP.

Also since there were disk errors i would suggest running the drive manuf. diagnostics on it before you trust it to a clean install...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

shell26

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 10:39:47 AM »
      Thanks for replies. Didnt read your post until this morning. Added the faulty c drive to my daughters pc as a slave. There was no slot for a second drive so i had to remove the cd drive and put it in there. went to bios to ensure it was on autodetect which it  was. Booted up ok but very very slow. went into "my computer" and it had the broken drive there as "d drive" but i was unable to open it, it stopped responding. I tried to scan the broken drive using superantispyware but although i set it to scan the slave, it just scanned the other drive. I then opened word to try and open up a document from the slave but i had the error message telling me that my slave was in a different format. I then realised that the file system for my daughters pc was fat32 and the file system on the slave was ntfs. I then converted the file system on the working c drive to ntfs.
      I am still having same problem though. I am unable to access the slave. Device manager tells me that the slave is working but the error messages in event viewer keep saying "bad block on drive d".
      Any ideas on how i can get my data off the faulty drive?
      Is there any alterations i can make in the bios?
      Or should i just give up on the quest to retreive my data?  :'(
      « Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 12:35:26 PM by shell27 »

shell26

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 02:06:47 PM »
      Is there any software i can download, put onto disk and use on the faulty pc to fix the bad block or get my files back?Or is it now a job for the experts?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 02:39:41 PM »
      Right clik the drive in My Computer...select properties then system tools and run error checking on that drive.
      ........be patient. If there are serious errors it may take awhile.
      Interrupting it before completion is a very bad idea...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "