Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dialup sharing via router??  (Read 3117 times)

ComputerCrazy

Topic Starter

Beginner

Dialup sharing via router??
    « on: June 30, 2007, 06:47:03 PM »
    I had a thought the other day, and was sure I could get an answer here. Would it be possible to share a dial-up internet connection using a router? We dont have dsl or anything for real use of a router but I have a laptop with the wireless internet thing built-in which picks up wireless networks and internet and all, so I thought it be cool to somehow be able to get a router to hook up to this computer, and then be able to pick up this dial-up connection with my laptop, therefore making it possible to have "wireless internet" on my laptop.   Reading back through all that I can see that it doesn't make much since but that's the best I could describe what I'm thinking... sorry  lol    and thanks  :)

ComputerCrazy

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: Dialup sharing via router??
      « Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 09:20:45 PM »
      Ok well obviously you people aren't as smart as I thought. Oh well

The Saviour

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 09:51:17 PM »
      You can share a dial-up internet connection via a router.

Same rules apply if you were using a high-speed connection.

Why you would want to share a dial-up internet connection is beyond me, but we do get questions like this.  You yourself stated you searched the site and found topics staing it doesn't make much since.  So why even do it?  If you think your dial-up connection i slow now...wait till you network it.

By the way...we're smarter.

Update:  Oh yeah...I googled this as well...see what I found:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/dialup/sharingdup.htm

ComputerCrazy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 04:04:12 PM »
        The reason why I wanted to do it is because we only have one computer hooked up to the internet in my house, this one. And sometimes when I want to be online, I can't because someone else is on. So I thought it'd be nice to have a router and then I could be online with my laptop anytime someone else was on with this computer. That quesion was half just curiosity too though...   But you said it would be slow? That's not cool.  :-\    Oh and another reason I was thinking about trying it is cause I've never really got to see a router and learn about it, and also I'm interested in networking too but never been able to do it. I just love computers and like learning as much about them as I can so I'd like to get a router and see if I cant get this networking thing down pat.  :)  Sorry for what I said, guess I was in too much of a hurry...  I've never had patience  :P   :-[    But anyway thanks for the reply and i'm sorry about this post being so long too  lol

ComputerCrazy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 04:07:43 PM »
          You yourself stated you searched the site and found topics staing it doesn't make much since.
          Huh?   The only thing I said close to that is that my topic didn't make much since.. and that was because I wasn't sure of the best way to word it.