Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: error messages in windows 98  (Read 8092 times)

rlestra5

error messages in windows 98
« on: November 08, 2004, 05:42:26 PM »
I have windows 98 and I get error messages all the time, and for a number of different programs: AIM, word, Explorer, Netscape, Screen Saver, etc. The typical error message: "the program has performed an illegal operation and needs to be shut down. When I look at the details of the problem, sometimes it says "kernel32.dll" or "invalid page fault." These are the not the only details for the error messages, but a few of the common ones.  It is very frustrating for AIM or Explorer especially to shut down while I'm in the middle of doing something. Sometimes the computer freezes randomly and I need to reboot, and sometimes I receive blue screen error messages. I'm led to believe that this is a memory problem, but I'm not computer savvy enough to fix it. Can somebody please tell me what is wrong here and/or how to fix it? Do I need to buy a new system, or is there a way to fix this problem? Please help. Thank you.

Computer_Commando

Re: error messages in windows 98
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 05:48:55 PM »
Scan for virus's and spyware.  I assume you have an up-to-date anti-virus program and a firewall?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2004, 05:49:10 PM by Computer_Commando »

rlestra5

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 06:17:05 PM »
Do you really think this could be a virus or spyware problem? I've never heard of that before regarding error messages. What makes you think that's what it could be? And I have an anti-virus program....it hasn't detected any viruses. Where do I go from here? Check for spyware? And how?

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 06:27:41 PM »
Windows 98 will "lock up" if you look at it cross-eyed.  I still have it, but it's only used for DOS and for testing.  

So we start with the basics, like virus's and spyware.  You have an anti-virus, but are the virus definitions up-to-date?  New definition files are released every week.  What about your firewall?

I suspect you've never performed a Windows Update?

Spyware (Ad-Aware)  http://lavasoft.element5.com/software/adaware/

Firewall (ZoneAlarm)
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download388.html

« Last Edit: November 08, 2004, 06:29:04 PM by Computer_Commando »

MalikTous

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 04:40:00 PM »
I fixed a machine with problems like this: it had so much dust packed into it that it kept overheating. After cleaning, it worked fine.

Surface scan the HD, and do full virus and spyware checks.

rlestra5

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2004, 09:47:58 PM »
I've cleaned the inside of my tower with Kensington Duster II. Last time I looked inside my tower, it looked perfectly fine. I have Nortion Anti-Virus, I recently put on Zone Alarm, and it is hard to scan for spyware because anything detected cannot be deleted without purchasing a full version of the program. I"m really led to believe that this is a memory problem, and I'm wondering if I need to buy a new system or whether this can be fixed. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

MalikTous

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 01:16:27 PM »
Both AdAware (www.lavasoftusa.com) and SpybotS&D (www.safer-networking.org) scan and remove spyware and adware on my system. ZoneAlarm's stupid control panel is sometimes glitchy, but all in all it is a competent software resident firewall, you can dump it and try Kerio or Sygate if you want another free firewall. Norton A/V is an OK virus scanner, but I find Panda, Grisoft, and AntiVir are better and free.

merlin_2

« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 02:33:24 PM by merlin_2 »

rlestra5

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2004, 12:07:38 PM »
I don't think McAfee is causing this. I don't know what to do. Should I just have someone look at my system? Do I need a new system? I am out of hope. I have ZoneAlarma and I ran Ad-aware; nothing changed. I am still getting blue screen erorr messages, random freezes, and an assortment of other error mesages at random. Somebody help!

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2004, 12:10:42 PM »
Do I need a new system?

Many people seem to think that their Operating System is all there is to their system.

In the worst case scenario, you will have to format your HDD. In which case you will not have to buy new equipment..

merlin_2

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2004, 12:26:49 PM »
options are go to the msdos prompt and type scanreg/restore or scanreg/fix...or load the wincd 98 disk chose the browse option click the add -ons folder then click the pws folder then scroll down till you come across..an icon call ed resv32 next to the is one called SETUP click thta it will re-install the system without losing any files....clear as mud and to use > aim does not help...