Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Word Pad / Word default problem  (Read 4950 times)

Kryptonite

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• It's not hard to tell where MY head is at
    Word Pad / Word default problem
    « on: July 06, 2007, 06:57:41 AM »
    Word pad seems to be all that i need for most of the word processing that i do. Can i set word pad as the default program to open when i double click a doc icon that is created in word pad but my computer wants to open it in word and remind me that my 30 or 60 free subscription has expired and i wind up closing out of the doc and reopening by right clicking and chosing "open with this"....this is such a pain and when i'm in a hurry which is most of the time i forget to open with a right click.

Office is not that special to pay for it on every computer that i have. And in one case i typed in the wrong oem code and never got to use my 60 free days. Not a big fan of being held hostage for ransome by MS.

Isn't there a free version of a word like program that recognizes word and it opens a whole suite of programs similar to office?
    The best sayings that sum me up in a nut shell depends on the obvious which more often than not is obscured by the talk of the day which sounds a lot like  gnat-thing.

The Saviour

Re: Word Pad / Word default problem
    « Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 07:36:05 AM »
    Just right click the icon on your desktop and select Open with...

You can select which program you want to have open this type of document by selecting it from the list of available programs.

Kryptonite

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 12:26:02 PM »
      Just right click the icon on your desktop and select Open with...

You can select which program you want to have open this type of document by selecting it from the list of available programs.

Yes, but it be set as the default program to open all word documents?
      The best sayings that sum me up in a nut shell depends on the obvious which more often than not is obscured by the talk of the day which sounds a lot like  gnat-thing.

The Saviour

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 12:38:55 PM »
      WordPad and Word are two different animals.

Since you're telling us your Office free trial has expired...and WordPad is what you basically use as your word processor, then all you need to do is create your document in WordPad and then save it to wherever.

You then select WordPad to open that document by doing what was said in the previous post.

Since your Office Word program trial is over...you can also open those documents using WordPad as well.  You just have to let the computer know that...again...following the same step as described in the previous post.

Either I'm missing something or not fully understanding your issue.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 02:19:07 PM »
      Isn't there a free version of a word like program that recognizes word and it opens a whole suite of programs similar to office?
      Yes, OpenOffice.org.  Another option for a freeware word processor that will open Word documents (note: this might not work with Word 2007 documents) is AbiWord.   

Actually, I'm not sure OpenOffice will recognize Word 2007 files, i.e. saved in Word 2007 format.  I'm surprised you can open them with WordPad.  But, since you can do so, I agree with The Savior about opening them in WordPad and saving in a format that will then open in WordPad and not prompt you to choose a program with which to open it.

Kryptonite

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 05:50:36 AM »

Either I'm missing something or not fully understanding your issue.

[ an aside but related: i had a house fire several months ago and there have been problems with everything associated with owning a house since that time...the electric company wants me to write a letter explaining that i had a fire and that i want my electric turned off, so does the gas company, so does the insurance comapny, so does the town, and so on. Everytime i'm asked to write a letter it baffles me that a phone call is not enough to say "turn off everything cause the house is gone". i keep thinking it's all a bad joke or bad dream that's saying what is requested on the phone is not enough to get the job done. So i write a letter and they ask for proof but don't say what proof might be....so here i am several months after the fire still writing letters. ]

If i recall correctly in Win 98 there was a chooice when selecting "Open with" to always associate this command with this icon. No such option that i can find exists in XP to do that. If a document is created in word pad the icon is exactly the same as Office/word. So simply double clicking always leads to the doc opening with office/word where it tells me that my trial is over and if i want to buy....etc etc, which i do not want to buy. All i want to do is to always associate that icon with word pad so on THIS computer it will open with word pad. If i take a copy of the document on a CD or jump drive to another person's house who has office on their computer then let it open in office/word. i just hate the extra steps that i have to go through to open a document that was created in the free word pad program.
        Maybe what i'm asking for is not possible with a PC or with XP. That's why i'm asking here. i appreciate all of the suggestions but i already know about right clicking and chosing "open with" i just want to change the rules so i can simpley double click and have it open in word pad, not office/word.

Sorry if this is such an unusual request or that i'm explaining it wrong.

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 08:17:42 AM »
        If i recall correctly in Win 98 there was a chooice when selecting "Open with" to always associate this command with this icon. No such option that i can find exists in XP to do that.
        Wrong.  "Open with" is available in XP.  Open an Explorer window, locate one of your files, right click and select "Open with".