Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Spilled Liquid on Laptop...Motherboard Crash?  (Read 4280 times)

prometheus08

Spilled Liquid on Laptop...Motherboard Crash?
« on: July 06, 2007, 06:05:21 PM »
So the other night I was using my old laptop, an IBM t22. I was also enjoying a delicious beverage (uh...beer, if you must know). One thing led to another and I managed to score a direct hit to my keyboard. I immediately turned the thing off, flipped it upside down, and tried to dry the thing as best I could. I left it in a flipped position overnight, but when I turned it on in the morning it wouldn't boot. When I turned it on, the drives still spun up as normal, lights flash as normal, and I still got the IBM 'welcome screen' before windows starts (it's windows 98). The screen I get looks something similar to this picture, even though its not my model:

The options in the lower right say to press F1 to enter the BIOS and F12 to choose temporary boot device. I can't get into either option and after a few seconds of holding at that IBM screen, it goes to a black screen. I've tried putting in a spare t22 keyboard I have around, but to no avail, leading me to think this is something much more serious.

When switching over to the new keyboard, I found that there wasn't really that much damage on the motherboard itself. Just a two or three small drops of stickiness which I cleaned with water and a Q-tip, then let dry for 24 hours. No luck there either. Any suggestions would be appreciated because I was hoping to play around with Linux on this thing. Did I fry it? I know it's old, but we've gone through a lot together :)

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Spilled Liquid on Laptop...Motherboard Crash?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 06:24:41 PM »
I would check the memory first. Problem is if it shorted out any onboard
 integrated item.....I better not say....
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

contrex

Re: Spilled Liquid on Laptop...Motherboard Crash?
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 03:20:06 AM »
trouble with beer it is sugary and sticky. If it hit the motherboard or any internal circuitry when power was on, oh dear! Many workplaces ban drinks near PCs especially laptops because the damage can be very expensive to repair. Your old pal might have gone to be with Computer Jesus.