Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Spotting A Spammer...  (Read 12102 times)

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Spotting A Spammer...
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2007, 09:27:51 PM »
Another issue...people have a hard time with CAPTCHA images...this is true.  Especially if they are hard to read.  All one has to do is simply contact Admin and notify them and the account can be manually activated.  A spam bot will not contact the Admin asking for assistance...unless it's not a spam bot, but a human being.
True about spam bots not being able to contact via email or specially made submission field, BUT:
Any webmaster should have two... no, three goals:
Make a good site
Make a site with no errors
and most of all, make the site easy to use

Users with disabilities in hearing and seeing probably shouldent be using forums, but if they are, this causes more hassle.

The double CAPTCHA system is enough, but I don't think that we need to go that far

These are better solutions:
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?action=search

Richenstony

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2007, 09:43:53 PM »
well i was banned from moviesfourmz for spamming , or what they call spamming anyway , story goes like this.......

I was looking for 3rd party links for people so they could watch movies and that on there and i posted about 20 odd links and the moderators nicked the links and posted them themselfs , how you ask well they use v.bulliten and they have disabled straight posting so the message goes to a mod before it goes on the fourm board itself....

well my saying is what goes around comes around , so i desided to post the site everyone and i mean everyone gets there links from on the board itself , just one post with one link...banned :(

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2007, 10:57:33 PM »
Requiring all posts to be reviewed by a moderator is called a Que
They are a bit inconvenient for two reasons:
1) Delays the time required to get your topic posted
2) Requiring someone to view all posts and approve them

Great TV online links:
www.tv-links.co.uk
www.quicksilverscreen.com
www.mytvlinks.com

It seems that some online video communities are cracking down on copyrights, so many links may not work.
These links are legal.

Richenstony

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2007, 11:31:27 PM »
Requiring all posts to be reviewed by a moderator is called a Que
They are a bit inconvenient for two reasons:
1) Delays the time required to get your topic posted
2) Requiring someone to view all posts and approve them

Great TV online links:
www.tv-links.co.uk
www.quicksilverscreen.com
www.mytvlinks.com

It seems that some online video communities are cracking down on copyrights, so many links may not work.
These links are legal.
Thanks for the links i will have to check them out in a bit .... it wasnt right what that forum did but i aint to bothered about it at least i still have my pride lol ..... i was in the middle of watching heroes when they banned me , that didnt go down to well.....

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2007, 12:04:57 AM »
Hmm, that sucks

Speaking of which, I have to get back to doing my webmastering... and all the bots I DESTROY AND BAN!!!!
EVIL SPAM! DIE DIE DIE!

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2007, 05:10:59 PM »
There is a CAPTCHA system in the registration portion of the forums, which I'm sure does help with some of the SPAM that the forums could potentially get. Unfortunately, as mentioned above, there are some bots that are sophisticated enough (often using OCR type scripts) capable of getting around many of the CAPTCHA's in use today.

Thankfully the spamming issue is not really the big of an issue on the forums, and often anyone who attempts to SPAM the forums is discovered within an hour. My feelings at this point is to keep the registration process how it is, I really hate (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) sites that have an extremely difficult CAPTCHA that takes me (a human) a few attempts to get around. Personally I rather have an easy to use registration, especially for any new computer users who may be attempting to register.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2007, 01:30:22 PM »
I agree.

I don't see it being that big of a problem here at CH.

Some mentions have also been made about sigs containing spam...a totally different matter that can be managed as well.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2007, 05:07:47 PM »
Some mentions have also been made about sigs containing spam...a totally different matter that can be managed as well.
A lot more of these have been happening
I wonder if they are spam bots, posting random information, and then getting away with some cheat ineffective advertising.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2007, 09:12:04 AM »
Probably just new users unfamiliar with Forum etiquette or just didn't read the Forum Guidelines.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "