Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer dosn't stop rebooting!  (Read 7059 times)

kim25

computer dosn't stop rebooting!
« on: July 12, 2007, 01:17:22 PM »
like the title says, my computer won't stop rebooting! I turn it on and it begins to start up. But as soon as it gets to the background of the main page, it restarts again and does the same exact thing! Btw, i'm using windows 2000 professional.

computer info:

Name: Compaq Deskpro
Processer type: Pentium(R) III processer 650 MHz
Speed: 650/100 MHz
Stepping: 681
Cache Size (L1/L2): 32/256 KB
memory size: 256 MB
system ROM date: 08/05/99
system ROM family: 686T3
system board revision: 17

what should I do? :-\

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: computer dosn't stop rebooting!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 01:32:55 PM »
Can you start in SafeMode?
See this document on how to enter SafeMode:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm#02

If you can enter SafeMode, it could be a general error, or possibly a virus.
What antivirus do you have?

If SafeMode does the same thing:
Try cleaning your computer out. Information on how to do this:
http://www.computerhope.com/cleaning.htm#12

Possible causes:
General error (disk corruption)
Virus
Overheating

kim25

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 01:39:34 PM »
I can start in safe mode and I have Symantec Antivirus.
If it's a Virus is their any possible way to fix it myself? Or do you recommend I take it to a repair shop?

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 01:44:02 PM »
Well, I cant quite say if its a virus, but lets find out

Go ahead and open Symantec Antivirus, do a full scan of your entire system

If it detects anything, remove it, and then do another scan.

If that doesnt work, then it could be a disk error as well
See this document on how to start Scandisk (info located on the right side of the page)
http://www.computerhope.com/software/scandisk.htm#06

Holmeback

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 01:46:52 PM »
I have been having this same problem for the past 1 -2 weeks ....and have been able to get it to stay on only after 10-15 reboots and lockups. I also have a Compaq ( Evod300v mini tower - P4- 1.6 ghz) . I had been abe to keep it from shutting down or restarting as long as I was playing a certain game on the computer. If i wasnt inthat game within 5 mins the monitor would go blank like it shut off ....and the CD light would come on and the comp would lock up ...or it would just start the rebooting again. I have since reinstaled windows xp home 4 times ...once with removing the partition and going back to Fat32 ( just to try and clear out any virus - if it could-) after each new fresh install on windows it was fine for about 20 mins ....then again boom  the restarting started again. My powerpack's fan had been not running at times . The comp even overheated once before this started. SO not knowing what the problem was and thinking it may be either something in the bios or the MB getting fried....I ordered  a new case with power supply- and a new MB.  I am hoping its not at Virus of some sort that just wont come off the HD no matter what i do.

kim25

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 01:49:55 PM »
The problem is, I can't really start anything because after it reboots, it just comes to a blank blue background and automatically restarts again.  :-\

Holmeback

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 02:02:40 PM »
Like Zyl said , try that scan disk link  for info on how to use that.  I kept trying chkdsk from safe mode  but it wouldnt let me use the chkdsk  /f  extension to fix. would only say Windows will run chkdsk upon the next startup...which would be like after another 10  reboots later ...then there would be some errors found actually...and an object.map file and some other   .map file removed...but then the last line would say 'there are errors found on the disk  use /f  to fix them'---which doesnt work from safe mode lol ... and any startup disks made ( on floppys) I cant seem to get those same diagnostic files- like chkdsk , format etc ... onto

beanhead07

Hopeful
    « Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 02:03:49 PM »
    Would a bad memory module cause something like this?
    If you hear beans rattling....... that means I'm thinking.

Holmeback

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 02:19:13 PM »
    not sure bout that ..but i myself have put in diff memory sticks since I bought the comp..  one thing was strange  the bios says its AMIBIOS HiFlex...but when i went to d/l a bios flash for it and used American MEgatrends  MB and bios ID'er  it said it wasnt an AMI MB or bios ..it was COMPAQ..... and COMPAQ's site has nothing at all that seems to be a flash utility  for anything listed in the d/l's for my model....I have always been able to fix comp problems in the past....this one has gotten me pulling my hair out seriously. Virus cant stay on your HD after you wipe out the partition and reset it up then reinstall a fresh copy of Windows on it can they?.......KIM25  post back about any results of your virus detection and scanning of your disks ...sorry  not trying to hijack your posts here ....just needed to let you know really it may be something that is happening to others also.

kim25

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 02:29:14 PM »
    I have no idea how to scan my disks  :-\

the only things I can go to are the computer set up page
    i.e. f10,f12, and f8 that are given as options when the computer is starting up  :-\

basically, i'm stuck  :'(

Holmeback

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 02:33:32 PM »
    Keep in mind that if Windows 2000 and XP is a networking operating system and it's possible that the privileges to run scandisk may have revoked by the system administrator. To run Scandisk we recommend you follow the recommend steps.

Double-click My Computer
    Highlight a local hard disk drive by clicking on it once.
    Right click the highlighted local drive
    Click properties
    Click the tools tab and click check now to check the drive for errors.
    The computer will need to restart in order to run scandisk in a safe mode
    ---------------  Copied that link for you  from  the link Zyl  gave up above

kim25

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 02:34:24 PM »
    oh btw, i'm using my sibling's computer right now which works.
    the problem is with my computer. ^^'

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
    « Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 02:35:28 PM »
    Would a bad memory module cause something like this?
    Chances are not likely, people with bad memory tend to get their computers working for a while, and then BSOD comes up

Holmeback

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 02:36:10 PM »
    if you can get into safe mode. select the command prompt option  and try the chkdsk /r   or chkdsk /f   command  i was just reading another post about a suggestion of using chkdsk /r ( never knew about that one- its for NTFS file system i think)

kim25

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 02:42:47 PM »
    I selected the safe mode with command prompt option and hit enter but it just continued to restart and wouldn't let me type/choose a command  :-\

btw, I REALLY appreciate your help. Sorry if this is frusturating to you as it is to me.  :-\