Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Very Odd Internet Problem  (Read 2829 times)

HappyNoodleBoy

Very Odd Internet Problem
« on: July 13, 2007, 01:25:02 PM »
So, I recently got back from vacation, and was informed by my parents that during a thunderstorm our modem had been 'fried' and that we couldn't access the internet. Being sure that they probably didn't know what they were talking about being computer idiots, I decided to take a look. I also got a modem of the same type that my friend had. (at this time we were using embarq dsl) With the original modem i noticed something very odd. I could share files with ares, but not use in the browser. The torrents i was seeding in utorrent were able to access the trackers, and I was able to get windows automatic update. Yet I couldn't use any webbrowsers or get on aim. So I tried the my friends modem. Same thing. I tried using our D-link router. Same thing. I made sure mcafee and windows firewall was off. Still no luck. Then my dad made the desicion to switch to sudden link cable after getting really pissed off at verizon for not giving us good support. So I moved all our computer stuff up to were the cable modem was set up, turned on the computer, and started checking things out. The same thing was happening. I installed the windows update, which i had previously been notified to install, thinking maybe this would give me access. No luck. My friend suggested maybe I had spyware using up my connection but I don't think that would be the case considerinng I could download at upwards of 300kbs, limited mostly by the number of peers and not my connection. So I tried installing the new linksys router my dad bought, and the same thing was happening. Even during the installation it said that there was no connection. Which means it has to be something with my computer and not the modem or router. I just don't have any idea what it might be. Thanks for any help.

Jonas Wauters

Adviser

• My Skatevids Check Signature
    Re: Very Odd Internet Problem
    « Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 04:03:05 PM »
    At my mums house there was a thunderstorm to it hit the neighbours house and the Internet connection and telephone where lost. they had to change EVERYTHING from cables in the street to the modem of our ISP but our router was still working!
    I mean it could be the Cables of your street or something like that.
    Did you call you ISP (Internet Service Provider)?
    Is there anyone in your street who can still use the Internet (at your side of the street)?

Jonas ;)