Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Failed Installation of Norton AntiVirus 2005  (Read 5774 times)

richie_rich66

Failed Installation of Norton AntiVirus 2005
« on: November 11, 2004, 08:19:36 PM »
I upgraded to Windows XP and did not remove NAV 2005 beforehand.  I have tried to uninstall and re-install, however while installing I get an error message "this MSI must be launched through setup".  I click OK, it then starts to install and after a few minutes, I get another error message " Error 1606.  Could not access network location "::\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop".  Hitting either retry or cancel ultimatley ends up with a failed installation.  Any ideas?  

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Failed Installation of Norton AntiVirus 2005
    « Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 11:10:21 PM »
    richie_rich66.....I would have a look at this .....
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B315352
    Then if you are still having problems , try the symantec site or phone them .

let us know

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

richie_rich66

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2004, 08:32:49 AM »
    I have now gotten past this problem with NAV 2005 only to encounter another.  When Norton installs, the bar graph indicating how far along the installation is, gets about 2/3 of the way finished and the installation complete window pops up.  By clicking 'finish" it then reboots the computer.  After running LiveUpdate, I get the error "LU1812 an update failed to install".  On the list of programs there is the red X nest to the Symantec Redirector.  I followed Symantec's solution all the way through to uninstall and reinstall with no luck including following their recommendations for installing after a failed installation, removing Norton after add/remove does not work, etc.  Any ideas?  

richie_rich66

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2004, 09:35:48 AM »
    Merlin_2........I have followed this procedure all the way through un-install and re-install at least 3 times with no success.  The fact that when I re-install it only installs 2/3's of the files is where I think my problems lie.  I just don't understand why it would only partially install and then pop up the window telling me that install is complete and to re-boot.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2004, 11:35:07 AM »
    when you uninstall norton did you go into the reg...and dump norton> and from the C:\Program Files....uninstall program dont all ways work...is this install disk ok...was wondering if its faulty....the webpage mentioned downloading live update re-director?also can you try to load it in safe-mode..

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2004, 10:43:40 PM »
        richie_rich66.....If the above doesnt help you ...phone symantec......they will talk you through it .

dl65  ::)