Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: totally new to networking  (Read 3802 times)

momuv5

totally new to networking
« on: July 20, 2007, 09:32:59 AM »
Hi there.   I am a nursing student and a wife and mom of 5 kids.  I bought a laptop for school use in January and am just now getting around to networking it with my desktop.  I have absolutely no clue what or how to do this.  I would like to be able to move files back and forth between computers and also see what the kids are up to when they are on the computer for their own safety (yes, i'll spy - I admit it.  it's a scary world out there and my oldest is only 10!) 

Is there anyone willing to take a mom under their wing and walk me through this?? where do I even start??

I have checked out the link http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000469.htm as well but an still nervous I'll really screw something up so a mentor would be great!

Deerpark

Egghead
    Re: totally new to networking
    « Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 09:44:09 AM »
    I know nothing about programs to monitor the activities of your kids, except for the fact that there are a lot of monitoring programs available, so I can't help you there but I think I can help you set up that network. :)

Just to be clear, you want to share files between the two computers and both should also be able to go online as well, correct?

Also how are things connected currently? I mean how is your desktop computer connected to the internet?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

momuv5

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 01:40:47 PM »
    I have my desktop directly hooked up to the internet and my laptop through a wireless router off of my desktop.  is that what you are asking?

Yes, I want to share files between the 2 computers and both go online.  Both of them go online right now the way I have it set up.  I want to be able to print from my laptop instead of having to save files on my travel drive from my laptop, take them to my desktop, open them there and then print from my desktop.

Right now the kids thing isn't as important as it will be later.  As I said, my oldest is only 10 and we limit her computer time sorta like TV.  Kids can be running and playing instead of always online or in front of the tv.  Just my thoughts on that though...

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 01:53:26 PM »
      Ahh so you've already got both machines online. Well then you're past the hard part. :)

What version of windows do you have on your laptop and desktop machine.

Also are you sure your network is as you described it? Usually you would have the router connected to your internet connection and then all your computers connected to the router. If this isn't the case, how is your router connected to your desktop pc then? I'm just checking to make sure I've got your setup correct.

momuv5

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 02:50:13 PM »
      Ok.  I've got my phone line hooked up to my router, and my internet is coming from my router for my desktop.  I am picking up wireless for my laptop through the router.  I have windows XP on my desktop and vista on my laptop.

Jonas Wauters

Adviser

• My Skatevids Check Signature
        « Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 03:22:39 PM »
        Alright when it is Vista and Xp then normally you would have a problem as Vista won't make the OS backwards compatible.
        You will have to make sure that both computer are in the same workgroup.
        Here is how you do it: Press the winkey+pause break and go to computername.
        This is a winkey:

This is the screen where you can change the workgroup:

Here you have to click on the change button.
        Then you get this screen:

There you have to click at the workgroup and give it a name then just click OK.
        You'll get a screen saying:"Welcome to the ... Workgroup."
        This will be slightly different for Vista.
        I hope this has helped you.

Oh you might want to check this topic. http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,37459.0.html
        Its how you can share printers and folders with Vista and XP.

Witch version of XP and Vista are you running? Like home or Home Premium. Type "Winver" (for XP in: Start -> run) (For Vista in: Start Search bar)

If you need more info just let us know.

Jonas ;)

momuv5

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 03:34:57 PM »
        I have home premium

Jonas Wauters

Adviser

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 03:44:24 PM »
          Vista home premium and XP Prof SP2??
          Did you try to follow my advice?
          Was it clear enought?

Jonas ;)

momuv5

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 03:47:51 PM »
          yeah, it was clear.  Right now I am waiting for an update to finish installing on my comp. before it restarts and I can see if it worked.  I'll keep you posted.  THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!!

Jonas Wauters

Adviser

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 03:51:28 PM »
            Always nice to hear that some one appreciate your help.
            But I'm afraid it won't work without any problems.
            There are always some problems with networking.
            But it will work eventually.
            Just post your problems and the info we need and then we will help you true this.

Jonas ;)

jgar

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2007, 11:53:03 AM »
            search VPN
            and learn how to setup
            i think this is good idea to monitor
            you can view her monitor
            what websites she open..or you can shutdown it....

Deerpark

Egghead
              « Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 04:36:28 AM »
              First of all the last reply from the OP was almost 2 months ago. This thread is dead.
              Second of all, VPN (Virtual Private Network) isn't used for monitoring but for setting up a private network between 2 or more computers on top of an existing network (like the internet).