Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: can't connect to internet after ISP outage  (Read 3144 times)

canlee99

can't connect to internet after ISP outage
« on: July 21, 2007, 04:36:16 PM »
Hi, I really hope you can help me. I have an HP dv2000 laptop (5 months old) with Vista Home Premium. I use a Belkin router connected to my ISPs DSL Gateway modem for wifi at home. It was an easy set up with out any problems UNTIL my ISP experienced an outage for my community yesterday. Since then I haven't been able to get online. I can connect to my router, which appears to be connected to the modem but the modem isn't giving me internet. I tried plugging in directly to the modem for a LAN connection and still no internet. This has to be an issue with my computer because my roommate isn't having the problem. He has an HP dv5000 and has been getting an wireless internet connection without problems since service resumed. Is it possible that my being online when the outage occurred screwed something up? I'm totally at a loss here. Any help is very much appreciated! Thanks in advance!!!

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
    Re: can't connect to internet after ISP outage
    « Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 05:16:19 PM »
    That shouldn't mess up your computer. Have you tried clicking on the connections icon in the bottom left-hand corner of your screen, looking for the available wireless networks, clicking on yours, and following the wizard?

canlee99

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 08:03:03 PM »
    yes, I've tried that several times. I've rebooted the computer, the router, the modem. I can only connect locally, when I view the network map I see that I'm connected to the router, which is connected to the modem, but I am not getting internet. I'm not sure if you are familiar with the map I'm talking about, but it shows each each device and then a green line (meaning connected I guess) between them. Between the router and the internet I have a gray line with a red X through it since I'm not getting internet. Again, this is an issue only with my computer, there are others in the house getting internet Any ideas?

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
      « Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 08:05:18 PM »
      Yes, try doing this. When you open Internet Explorer and the Webpage Cannot Be Displayed screen comes up, click on "Diagnose Connection Problems".

canlee99

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 08:20:58 PM »
      Ok I tried that. It says:

"Windows can not find the host name "ie.redirect.hp.com" using DNS. the doman name server may be down. Windows found a problem that can not be repaired automatically. Contact your isp or network administrator for help or click here for information about things you can try to help resolve the problem. "

I clicked on the "click here" part and the troubleshooting options provided are things I've already tried. This is a real head scratcher for me.