Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: a tricky website tool  (Read 4189 times)

yanng1

Topic Starter

Beginner

a tricky website tool
    « on: July 22, 2007, 10:20:46 PM »
    I would like to insert a feature on my website which allows users to book
    dates to use company machines, scheduled times would also be handy.

This will mean having an interface which shows the days these machines are in use, and the days they are not.  ( which will require writing to file ).

I need a big push in the right direction.  The only languages I know are java & HTML.
    writing to file is out of the scope of java's applet permissions.  And HTML sure can't do the job. 

I'd really appreciate a helping hand

michaewlewis

Intermediate
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: a tricky website tool
    « Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 07:32:04 AM »
    Get a good book on PHP & MySQL. This is definetely the way you need to go for your requirements. It will involve a lot of programming and a web server that supports PHP/MySQL (most do).
    Also check out www.php.net & www.phpbuilder.com for useful articles and examples of both. The forum on phpbuilder is very good also.

yanng1

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 08:17:22 AM »
      man were you right!  PHP is an awesome language, It feels like java + HTML... which somehow, javaScript never felt like.  Thanks for the input

michaewlewis

Intermediate
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 08:21:32 AM »
      ya php is very nice, unfortunately I haven't had the time or resources to do much with php in a year or so. As soon as I get internet at home again, I'll get more into it. I used to be a regular member of the forum at www.phpbuilder.com......
      Good luck with your app