Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Mind Boggling Problem.  (Read 3088 times)

esskyma20

Mind Boggling Problem.
« on: July 28, 2007, 10:05:03 PM »
I've been having a problem with my compy all summer long, and I've tried everything I could do on my own and I really REALLY need help.

First off:
Here is the hardware I'm running:

Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe
Pentium D 950 (3.2 dual core)
GeForce 7900 GT
4x 1 Gb Corsair XMS2-6400
Western Digital 320
OCZ Game X Stream 700W power supply
Windows XP Pro.

Entire System is about 1 year old now.

My problems started around spring of this year.  My computer would randomly lock up during any task be that rendering in Maya or just sitting idle doing nothing.
I would then have to restart my computer and everything would be fine for a while.

It then started to happen more frequently, about 5 minutes into each startup.
It would eventually go for a long period of time like it should.

I thought it was a hard drive issue because upon restarting and looking in my bios my hard drive would not show up in my SATA display. I'd have to turn off the computer and turn off the power supply, wait a couple seconds then turn everything back on and it would be fine.

I bought a new hard drive (WD 320Gb.) to fix the problem so I thought.  Same problem.
I call up tech support for ASUS. They have me check my Ram with MemTest.  Test said everything was fine.  They then told me to check the timing of my RAM, I did... everything was fine.  Same Problem.

NEW problem births.  I would startup my computer, it would get to the Win XP loading screen and then restart.  Get back to the Win XP loading screen..... Restart. and it would be this annoying cycle until I turn off the computer.

Asus told me to send in the board.  I send it in.  Waited.. Waited.. and waited. Countless phone calls to their RMA department asking what was going on and when to expect my board or a new board.  Finally after 29 days I get my board back, but it is not my board, it is different.  Mine had a Thermaltake Big Typhoon backplate on the underside of the board that was permanently attached to the board.  This one didn't.  Ohh well hopefully everything was fixed.

Pop it in, plug everything in and ERROR.
Bios Checksum error.
Searching for Floppy
Not Found
Searching for CD-ROM
Not Found.

Call up Asus.  They said that the bios crashed and i needed a new Bios chip.  They send it speedily.  I take out the old one, put in the new one.  Clear my CMOS. fire it up.

Nothing.
Black screen.
Everything is on.  Nothing on screen.

Anyone have any ideas at all what in the world is going on?
I'm tired of dealing with ASUS.

Aljaud

Re: Mind Boggling Problem.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 02:57:57 AM »
From what you've posted, I'm assuming the problem is the motherboard, and I can't help much, but I remember having a similar problem a while back, and it turned out to be the CPU that went out.