Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: reformatting hard drive  (Read 3002 times)

huli

reformatting hard drive
« on: April 09, 2004, 09:52:34 AM »
I reformatted my hard drive.  My startup disc wont work.  Help!

MetalMilitia

Re: reformatting hard drive
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004, 04:30:02 PM »
what operating systm are you trying to put on?

huli

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2004, 07:15:34 PM »
Thanks for the reply!  I am operating windows98.  I decided to reformat my hard drive and forgot to make a new startup disk.  The old one that I had is corrupt. I was able to contact my cousin who just happened to have an old one laying around and said he would send it to me.  Hopefully it will work after traveling half way across the world via snail mail!  If this one doesn't work, is there another way to tackle this problem besides buying a new operating system?

MetalMilitia

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2004, 08:50:07 PM »
If you can use another computer you can just download the files to make a startup disk. a quick google search found this -> http://www.svrops.com/svrops/dwnlddisk.htm
the windows 98 section is near the bottom.

Sky

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 10:36:29 AM »
i think u can't 'copy' a boot disk. there r some files that must be copied onto the disk's boot sector for it to work as boot disk.

U can use the websites mention and download the .exe file. Then insert a blank floppy disk and run the .exe file and follow the instructs to create a bootdisk.

also remember to set your BIOS to boot from floppy/CDROM at your own PC so that it will read from there : )