Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Graphical Issue, only in Games!  (Read 3803 times)

D4rj0n7

Graphical Issue, only in Games!
« on: August 11, 2007, 04:57:16 PM »
First post for me on these fourms, hopefully someone can give me a hand as I'm completley stumped.

I was playing Battlefield 2142, and all of a sudden my computer locked up and my monitor changed into a bunch of green pixels and they covered the screen.

So I reset my computer, but when I started 2142 again, the game was all pixilated. Not only does this happen with 2142 but every game I've run so far (WoW, Medieval 2).

A friend said it may be something to do with DirectX because my desktop is fine, and shows no signs of pixels. However I ran dxdiag and I also upgraded to DirectX10 and still no luck.

I uninstalled my video drivers and reinstalled the latest ones, but also no luck there either.

So, after exahusting all my other options I've decided to look for some help!

My computer is running SLi technology with Dual Nvidia GeForce 6600's, if that matters at all.

I appricate any help people can give me!

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Graphical Issue, only in Games!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 10:13:46 PM »
How old is your monitor? Is it SVGA, or just VGA?

Is the game compatible with your graphics card? If its not, it will definitely look funny

Instead of pressing the reset/restart button, press the WindowsLogoKey+D
This will prevent data damage that may occur from incorrectly shutting down.

D4rj0n7

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 08:14:26 AM »
My monitor is an old one, VGA but I've never had a problem with games before using this thing.

Before the crash in which all the screen went green and whatnot with pixels, all my games were working fine.

So yes, my graphics card is compatabile with the game.

The reason this has me so stumped is because my desktop, internet explorer are all working fine, only my games aren't working!

Any other ideas?

Seanfitz86

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 11:03:54 AM »
I'm having a very similar problem. I always assumed that it must be that my graphics card is wrecked or something.

I have the same graphics card as him, but only one, not dual. And I'm having the problem on several of the same games he is. I even have an older monitor, so this kinda gave me some hope as to what might be going on.

oh, D4rj0n7,
It's not a fix but I found on some games (Medieval 2) you can get it to mostly stop by fooling around with the graphics options, you have to sacrifice most of the quality but you should still be able to play.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 05:57:05 PM »
My monitor is an old one, VGA but I've never had a problem with games before using this thing.
Before the crash in which all the screen went green and whatnot with pixels, all my games were working fine.
So yes, my graphics card is compatabile with the game.
The reason this has me so stumped is because my desktop, internet explorer are all working fine, only my games aren't working!
Any other ideas?
Being that your monitor is older, it may not be supporting the resolution that the game requires.

I need you to go online to the games website, and look at their requirements, and see if your card is compatible or not. Just because its compatible with an older version of the game, or works with other games, does not mean that its compatible with your game.

What do you mean by "Pixels" exactly?

Games require different resolutions and graphics capabilities as compared to your Windows Operating system, and applications that run in it without requiring the full screen and advanced capabilities.

lil_falco

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 08:27:09 PM »
You killed your graphics card.

Remove both of them then insert only one. power up and see if it plays.

If not remove it and insert the other one. Power up and see if it plays.

If not than either both your cards are fried or its something else, but I can only think of a card being fried because you said it worked previously.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 08:31:59 PM »
You killed your graphics card.

Remove both of them then insert only one. power up and see if it plays.

If not remove it and insert the other one. Power up and see if it plays.

If not than either both your cards are fried or its something else, but I can only think of a card being fried because you said it worked previously.
If the card was truly fried, then the Windows operating system would not be displayed, since no matter what, anything that appears on the screen will go through whichever graphics card is set to primary.

lil_falco

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 08:35:01 PM »
True, but if only one is fried then it may still display graphics through the one thats connected ot the monitor.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 08:37:52 PM »
Well, then maybe we should also ask the OP this:

Are you using a dual monitor display, D4rj0n7?

D4rj0n7

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 09:09:01 PM »
Thanks again for all your support people! :) I really hope I can fix this problem.

No, I'm only using one montior, I use the SLi to boost the graphical cabilbilites of my games.

I figure that instead of explaining it, it would be much easier if I were to show a picture.

My desktop is normal..but when I start a game, I get graphical glitches like such..

http://www.imagehoop.com/view_image/f00632228/WoW pixels.JPG

Hope this helps!

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 09:28:57 PM »
It looks like a resolution problem. Could you right click the desktop, click "Properties", settings, and tell us what the resolution Windows is set to? (I wouldn't adjust anything)
And also tell us what the color settings are?

Deerpark

Egghead
    « Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 04:28:57 AM »
    I had a very similar problem with my previous computer. Whenever I played a game, some of the pixels would be the wrong color. But it  only happened in games.
    It turned out my CPU was starting to fail. I found this out when it failed completely.

I'm not saying this is what's wrong with your computer but only that hardware errors can manifest themselves in strange ways. Since you're running a SLI setup, you could try using just one of your graphics cards and see if that changes anything.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

D4rj0n7

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 07:33:53 AM »
    My resoultion is set to 1024 x 742, and my colour quality is set to Highest (32 Bit).

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
    « Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 06:26:57 PM »
    My resoultion is set to 1024 x 742, and my colour quality is set to Highest (32 Bit).

Then, in theory, its not a resolution/monitor problem...

Strange, I guess it must be the advanced hardware features in your card causing the problems.

robit

Beginner

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 10:25:35 PM »
      OK ...Please check your power supply... It sounds like the cards are not getting the watts they need to run ....
      It's not how much you know, It's how little you talk about it.