Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help with o.s  (Read 3441 times)

Danny996

Help with o.s
« on: August 16, 2007, 10:55:01 AM »
Hi All

Im not sure if this will make sense lol.
 I want to reformat my hard drive at the moment i have vista premium upgrade i got the pc from Dell a few years back and they did not supply o.s disk. If i reformat will i be able to just use vista disk that i have or would i have to buy xp and then put vista on top? I remember restoring comp before and lost everything on hard drive but o.s was not affected that was before i had vista. Basicly my problem is that sinse putting vista on it will freeze at random not being able to click on anything so i have to reset it. And it is a genuine copy of vista.  Hope it made sense can anyone help????

michaewlewis

Intermediate
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Help with o.s
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 01:52:07 PM »
since it is an upgrade cd, you will need a cd from a previous version of windows. You might be able to borrow one from a friend.
Also look over the CD's you got with the computer, there should be a windows disk. it might be labeled as windows restore cd or something similar. I'm pretty sure that they are required to send the os disk with the computer.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Help with o.s
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 07:39:25 PM »
If the OS is freezing on a brand new install chances are the MBoard drivers weren't installed properly.
Re-install them...they'll be on the Dell Driver CD or if not visit their site and DLoad them.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "