Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: what is the differences?  (Read 2833 times)

Roger23

what is the differences?
« on: November 22, 2004, 06:42:01 PM »
 :)hi i m newbee...can anyone tell me what the difference between a preload operating system and a OEM o/s come togather with CD-Rom?
Btw what OEM stand for?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: what is the differences?
    « Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 08:39:07 PM »
    Roger23.....I think what your asking is the differance between the preloaded O/S (which does not include a official Windows O/S cd ).....and a OEM windows disk.
    First of all its all about money.......License fees. The manufacturer pays a lesser amount of a fee each time they load a operating system. OEM stands for "Original Equipment Manufacturer"
    For example......If you were to purchase say a
    E-Machine .....it would come with a Windows operating system loaded as well as some software bundle......You will not get a official Win cd containing the o/s......but rather several cd's ( installation and recovery ) in other words their own stuff.
    Or you could purchase a system that has a Windows OEM o/s loaded ........You will receive a authentic windows cd and if you look on the side of the tower you will see a label there which will have the product name followed by OEM......and the product code key.
    I should point out that if .....down the road you have a problem and wish to format and reinstall ...its a lot easier with a official Windows disk.

dl65 ::)
    « Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 08:39:52 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 11:29:04 PM »
    (Computerhope.com search machine would have answered your questions for you)

Definition of OEM

Definition of Operating System
    « Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 11:29:23 PM by Raptor »

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 05:20:28 PM »
    nice description ...dl65... :)and correct...the makers load an image on the hard drive...and the user is given recovery disks..this was done to combat piracy...and was a faster way to load a system..<..ghost> the private maker will soon have to do the same....has its was away on cutting costs and  piracy...it will never stop them...
    « Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 05:27:18 PM by merlin_2 »