Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ATI Radeon 600 HP Laptop Display all white screen  (Read 5444 times)

jhornyak

ATI Radeon 600 HP Laptop Display all white screen
« on: September 05, 2007, 08:36:31 PM »
Need your expert advice on what a problem might be, I have an HP Pavilion Model ZD8000 here and the display screen just went suddenly all white,  I can boot it up in VGA mode, and I have uninstalled the device drivers and re-installed them.  After I reinstalled them I tried to change the display back to the high resolution mode, the screen went all white again.  Do you have any ideas what may be wrong, I think it may be the display chip on the laptop, do you think this is something I can replace on my own or do I need to have HP do it?

Amrykid

Beginner

• Piplup rules!!!!!!!!
    Re: ATI Radeon 600 HP Laptop Display all white screen
    « Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 08:46:02 PM »
    have you recently updated drivers, if so, maybe the drivers are not fully compatible with you graphics card (build in or not).
    Laptop Specs:
    Manufacturer:Gateway
    Model:MT3705
    Processor:Intel Pentium Dual-Core Mobile Processor 1.60 GHz, 533 MHz FSB
    Graphics:ATI Readeon Xpress 200M Graphics with 256 HyperMemory
    Memory:1024 MB DDR2
    Network: B/G WLAN Card, 10/100 mbps Ethernet LAN, 56k Fax/Modem

jhornyak

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 08:51:43 PM »
    Yes, I did load new drivers from ATI, same problem.  The display was working fine, just went to white while responding to some e-mails.  The only way I can get a display is by booting up and choosing "start in VGA mode" everything is fine until I try to change the resolution to the higher level that I had before and then the screen turns white.

Thanks

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 05:22:51 AM »
    Try booting into safemode which skips your installed drivers...
    Tap F8 repeatedly as the machine is starting.
    Once in lower your screen resolution and re-boot.
    If this doesn't help you may have installed an incorrect driver.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jhornyak

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 07:54:50 AM »
    I can get the screen to display in VGA mode from the safe startup screen.  It will display at the lowest screen resolution possible.  If I try to increase the screen resolution the display will go all white, I then have to power down and reboot.  I did try hooking up an external monitor, got it to display a couple of times but the image was distorted.  I did get a blue DOS screen once with the warning about the video driver not working correctly.  I am trying to figure or troubleshoot whether it's the graphics card chip, which I think it is, or the driver.

Thanks

jhornyak

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 09:56:18 AM »
    I did reload the new drivers, got a bit further with boot up, actually got a black screen with mouse pointer displayed but that is as far as it got with the boot up.  Only way I can get a display is by starting windows XP in VGA, low resolution mode only.  Any suggestions from anyone?  Also I am tryiing to find out if the graphics chip or card on the laptop is separate from the mother board or do I have to replace the mother board as well.

Thanks

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 09:58:41 AM »
      The graphics chip is part of the motherboard, so the whole thing will need replacing if this is indeed the problem.
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)