Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help! my pc will not recognise my monitor?  (Read 2529 times)

johnson99

Help! my pc will not recognise my monitor?
« on: September 06, 2007, 10:15:18 AM »
Recently re-connected my compaq presario, which started up fine, but there is no recognition of a connectin from the tower to the monitor.  I'm no pc expert, but managed to connect my laptop and that works fine....i'm guessing its either the connection or video card.  All it says is 'No video/connection signal'

Can anyone give me some advice on this and if it is a video card, how simple are they to replace??

Many thanks

Justin

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Help! my pc will not recognise my monitor?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 10:42:43 AM »
Try the suggestions found on the below link.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000241.htm
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

kbm292

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 01:47:05 PM »
    I would try connecting the monitor to the onboard video.  If it works that way, then maybe your computer isn't recognizing your video card and you will need to get new drivers.  Also if it does work then maybe your card is fried, however if it still doesn't work then maybe your card is fine and it's the monitor.  Just a couple of things for you to try.

Anythingwill

Intermediate

• Computers, you love and you hate them...
      « Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 04:23:33 PM »
      I had that problem as well, and it was due to bad caps on my video card. It won't necessarily work just plugging your monitor into the onboard video card, you may have to actually remove your PCI video card in order for the onboard to pick up the slack. Once again, what i ended up having to do

kbm292

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 05:32:59 AM »
        Yes exactly.  Anytime you switch to onboard you should remove the corresponding card first.

RankenTech

Beginner
        • sexay computer nerd
          « Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 09:26:30 AM »
          I had that problem as well, and it was due to bad caps on my video card.

Good point there.

Check for blown capacitors on your board. the caps that are right next to your processor usually control the voltage to your onboard video. if they're gone, the computer might appear to boot up but since the voltage to the video isn't regulated correctly, nothing will show up.
          A+
          MCP
          CCNA