Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: onboard drivers creating havoc  (Read 6385 times)

Ryoken31

onboard drivers creating havoc
« on: November 29, 2004, 03:30:20 PM »
hey,
    I had this problem on my computer before, but that's when it was running windows 98se. What happened was that i had an onboard video card with driver installed, and then later added a raedon 9600, and forgot to uninstall the driver. The graphics in 3d hardware accellerated games would be distored in a way that really looked like blocks of solid colour flashing and moving on the screen, sometimes looking like rays of light comming from some origin. Anyway, i realized what the problem was eventually and uninstalled the drivers. Now, I reformatted and put windows xp on my computer, and the same thing is happening, however, I can't find the s3 drivers on my computer. I looked in the add/remove programs list where i found them in windows 98, but they're not there. I've noticed XP is stupified for people, and installs things behind they're back so that they don't have to worry about it, and i think maybe that's what's happening. Is there any way to remedy this? or does anyone have any other thoughts of what it might be? i'm pretty sure it's the same problem as before, it's just that windows xp is still pretty foreign to me and i'm still getting used to it. any help would be apprectiated. Thanks.

Eric

2k dummy

Re: onboard drivers creating havoc
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 03:58:22 PM »
Go to the S3 Graphics web site and download one of the following: s3id.exe (dos) wins3id.exe (windows). You can identify the specific graphics chip, then download a proper driver.

Ryoken31

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 10:12:58 PM »
the thing is though, i don't really need the drivers for the s3. What the problem was last time was that there were still the drivers for the s3 installed, and it caused the problems with the radeon card. That is what i'm trying to fix here. However i did try going to the site and downloading the files incase installing/upgrading the drivers then uninstalling them would work, but i couldn't find the file that was mentioned to look for. Any help is appreciated  :)

ryoken31

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 10:20:06 PM »
Sorry, i guess it made it fairly unclear what i was wanting here. What i want is to get the radeon 9600 working properly by deleting the drivers for the s3. I, however, cannot find the drivers for the s3 anywhere on the computer to delete them. I suspected they were automatically installed, or i accidentally installed them with the motherboard drivers. I was wondering if a) am i on the right track and b) how do i go about fixing this problem so that my radeon 9600 doesn't have this graphic distortion. Thanks for your help.

2k dummy

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 07:35:17 AM »
Make sure the onboard graphics are disabled. Go into the bios and see what the AGP aperture size is set to. It needs to be set to a size < = total system memory. I would suggest 128M. Very large sizes, 256 or greater, will probably not be good. If you don't have any real memory hogging apps this should not cause a problem but can greatly enhance the performance of your AGP card. You can play around with the setting to find what is ideal for your setup and machine.

Ryoken31

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 08:03:06 PM »
the card is disabled in the bios. Aperature is set at 128, and i tried settings below 128 with no improvement. still graphic glitch that involves solid colours, and some flickering in 3d hardware accelleration mode. any other ideas would be appreciated

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 10:41:45 PM »
Use a program such as Driver Cleaner to remove old driver files.

ryoken31

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2004, 07:04:55 PM »
still didn't work. Already tried DC with no success. Any other suggestions? it's been a while now, but i still haven't made any progress...