Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Linking  (Read 3150 times)

Sandbob

Topic Starter

Rookie

Linking
    « on: September 15, 2007, 04:38:42 PM »
    I have a desk top computer and when I bought my laptop I also bought a linksys router so I could use the laptop wireless, which works well.  My son has a laptop and is also able to use it in the house.  I have two questions.  1.  can I set up another desktop in the basement by connecting it to a phone line that I have down there, and, secondly, will it also pick up the signal? 

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
      Re: Linking
      « Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 10:03:14 PM »
      If you use a phone line, you'll have to use a dial-up connection, and it won't be the same connection that you have for your other computers. What type of connection do you use?

What operating system does your son have on his compuer?

viking

Adviser
      • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
        « Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 03:55:13 AM »
        Don't use a phone line, you will better use ethernet cat5e cable and connect it to your router. Or you can buy an access point (wireless), but we are complicating the problem.

If you still want to use phone line, depending on your phone cable, you will need modems at each side of the cable. It is much cheaper and easier with a plain ethernet cat5e cable (and I suppose you need less than 95 meters of cable, right?).

Sandbob

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 12:12:02 PM »
          I connect to the Internet via cable, but there is no cable connection down in the basement.  My operating system is Windows XP  Home Edition on my desktop, Windows XP Home Edition on son's laptop, and Windows XP Professional on my laptop.  I didn't know how I would do it seeing as I only have a phone line in the basement, and of course, electricity.  I have an extra computer that I have left over from our office,and I would love to have it working in the basement.  I don't really know what I am doing, so you'll have to really spell it out for me.  Thanks.

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
            « Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 02:49:23 PM »
            The way to test if the wireless works in the basement is to take your laptop down there and see if it gets a good connection. If that works, let me know and I'll attempt to help you set up wireless on your son's computer.

Sandbob

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 05:45:43 PM »
              Both laptops work great in the basement, mine and my son's.  It is an additonal desktop that I have that I want to put in the basement and get up and running.  If you can help me do that, it would be wonderful.  The Linksys router in attached to my desktop that I use mostly.  The other desktop is an extra that I'd like to get working.  Thanks

The Saviour

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 05:48:22 PM »
              Just purchase a wireless network adapter compatible with the OS on the desktop and you'll be able to connect to your existing wireless network.