Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Freezes when connect to internet  (Read 13887 times)

tlalla

Computer Freezes when connect to internet
« on: September 16, 2007, 08:49:40 AM »
When I start my computer without the cable I am ok. But when I plug in the internet cable it freezes up the   computer almost immdeiately after plugging it in. I have to remove the cable and restart then it is not frozen but i cannot get on the internet.
I ran anti virus software (mcafee) and no virus are detected. I talked to a guy from geek squad at best buy and he thought they was a virus about 2 years ago that casued this. But the anti virus software cannot find it.

Any ideas??

Thanks for any help in advance.

Terry

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
    Re: Computer Freezes when connect to internet
    « Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 03:04:18 PM »
    How long has this been going on? If you plug that same cable into another computer, does it work?

tlalla

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 03:48:01 PM »
    ITs been happening for a couple days now.

I can plug it into another computer and it works.

I also have a router but I tried taking the internet cable staight into the computer bypassing the router and it still freezes up.

I started when i just powered up one day and it took me a while to figure out it would not  freeze up when I took the internet cable out.

Terry
    « Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 03:59:48 PM by tlalla »

spiderlucci

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 06:58:34 PM »
    help is here:

I hope I can help you with your issue!
    what OS do you have?
    if you have XP like most people... try this.

start your computer and hit the F8 key and select safemode with networking.

Steps to cleanup IE browser:

1.Open an Internet Explorer Page.
    2.Click on Tools and click on Internet Options.
    3.Click on Delete cookies
    4.Click on Delete files with a check mark on delete all offline content. 5.Click on Clear History. 6.Click on the Security tab and click on Default Level. 7.Click on the Programs tab and click on Reset Web Settings (Uncheck the option for resetting the home page). 8.Click on the advanced tab and click on Restore Default and uncheck the box that says, "Enable third party browser extension (requires restart). 9.Restart the computer. 10.Again, Open an Internet Explorer Page. 11.Click on Tools and click on Internet Options. 12.Click on the Settings tab that is next to Delete files. 13.Click on View files 14.In the window "temporary Internet Files, Right click on each program file and choose delete (each should be removed individually). 15.Click on View Objects. 16.In the window "Downloaded Program Files, Right click on each program file and choose Remove (each should be removed individually). If you don't want to do this, then next option will be to call HP and ask them to do a non-destructive system recovery.

2.Try an online virus scan:

Go to  http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Click on scan now, its free
    Choose location, highlight 'united states', and click on GO
    Put a check mark against 'my computer' and also put a check mark in 'autoclean' and then click on SCAN After completing the scan, try to delete the virus if any and restart the computer and try to open the application

let me know what happen.
    not only will it clear your EX.. it should fix it, if not you may have a driver issue going on.
    let us know

good Luck!    ;D

Spider

tlalla

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 09:25:31 PM »
    Spider,

I tried safe mode with networking but it froze up again. (with internet cable in)

I can boot up in safe mode only(with internet cable in, but cannot log onto the internet).

But I did perform all your instrcuctions execpt loging onto the online virus scan. But I did run the McAfee virus scan and found no viruses. And it still freezing up with the internet cable in.

Any other ideas? You said it might be the drivers? Or maybe I should try to buy another network card?

...i do have XP

Thanks
    Terry

spiderlucci

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 10:20:07 PM »
    Use someones computer and try to download the most up to date driver for your network card.... after that try to connect... then go to microsoft updates.
    before you install the new driver "uninstall the network card driver"... restart the PC and put the new driver in.

Let me know what happen and good Luck! :)
    spider

kuszmania9999

Adviser

• citizenship
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 12:50:58 AM »
    if i were you..........
    update the nic card.
    if the problem still there, try different network cable.

tlalla

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 05:29:07 PM »
    Spider,

I just bought a new network card(d-link) and installed it. Now the computer does not freeze when I have the internet cable in, but i have other issues now.

1) When I first booted up the first time  with the new network card my weather apps came up and seemed to work. But I could not connect to the internet or my email.

2) So I shut down and rebooted. It took about 5 minutes to boot up(rebooted a couple more times and still takes about 5 minutes). I then got a message for the weather apps that window sockets intialion failed. Also "found new hardware Intel network card" (old network card) which I thought I unistalled. Also "Local Area Connection Newwork Cable unpluged".

3) I did an ipconfig and the address is 0.0.0.0

4) When I try to go to web page it says Address is invalid.

Any ideas on these issues.

Thanks
    Terry

spiderlucci

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 05:51:40 PM »
    type: ipconfig /renew

if it doesn't work... try it again... but this time: "ipconfig /release" then type "ipconfig /renew"
    you could of just download a updated  driver for your network card and save some cash... but, that's ok

make sure your old network card is uninstalled... right click my computer, properties, hardware,device manager,expand your network card and choose the old network card and uninstall it.... make sure you donot uninstall the new network card.
    if you only see one networkcard avail... then it's uninstalled..... check the add and remove programs and make sure the old driver is uninstall.... if you don't see it.... your good to go.

goodluck! ;)
    spider

tlalla

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 06:22:25 PM »
    i did the ipconfig/renew and I get 

An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area CInnection 3: THe RPC server is unavailable
    No operation can be performed on Local Area COnnection 6 while is has it media disconnected.

I did the ipconfig/release  ipconfig/renew ... but same thing.

Also when i booted up it said found new hardware INTEL Pro... which was my old network card..... also still takes 5 minutes to boot up

well i thought i unistalled the INTEL but its looks like it still there now when I rebooted... I did the unstall ??

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 06:30:26 PM »
      You will need to physically remove your old card otherwise windows will see it every time you boot up.

tlalla

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 06:45:05 PM »
      Spider,

I did remove the INTEL and put the Dlink in the same pci slot.

THe weird thing is I go to the Hardware->Device Manger->Network adapters and I right click and uninstall the INTEL then I go to add remove programs and unistall the Intel pro network adapters and drivers  then i reboot and its there again??. They is another program Intel Proset.... should i uninstall that one also?

spiderlucci

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 07:58:11 PM »
      hi,  did you install the hardware first or the software... for the network card.
      you might have reconfigure it wrong!

Most driver need to be installed first .. then the hardware...read the manuel.

also try to put it in another slot.

If I knew you where going to install a new networkcard.. I would have gave you instruction to uninstall first before you took the card out... did you uninstall first ???

I would take out the newcard and restore it back one day before you installed the newcard.

Hey Fed, what do you think?

goodluck!  ;D spider

tlalla

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 08:30:29 PM »
      Spider,

Yea I did something wrong.  I dont think i unistalled first.

I will try again tomorrow.

So I will restore to yesterday.

Then unistall the old network card and drivers?

Then install the driver for the new network card.

Then install the new network card.

THanks for all the help!!!!

spiderlucci

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 02:19:55 PM »
      Note" make sure you read the manuel first... because you still might be ok when installing the hardware first now.

that part I'm trying to remember... most drivers do get install first but network cards  might need to be install first before the drivers... so don't jump into it so fast.

Make sure you put your network card into another pci slot instead.

is this a dell or another kind of brand ... I know if it is... evertime you try to uninstall the old drivers... it might comeback anyway... as long as you don't see the old hardware and you can get connected to the internet .

That happen to my fathers computer at the time.

good luck and I hope you read this before you did the job.
      spider

:)