Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Running a website, downloading templates, slapping my Mac and that did not help.  (Read 6428 times)

ChewMouse

I have never written in a forum because I really don't like to broadcast anything. I know that all of you are far more advanced than I. I saw "SQL" and I'm clueless but I can Google that.

I am on an eMac OS X.

I need help. I have Earthlink as my internet provider and I used their Trellix system to start a little website two years ago.

Today it is 184 pages and I have four blogs in addition.

I am "hosted" by Hostway but I can't use their templates, something goes wrong. So I had a friend "point" Hostway to Earthlink. Now Earthlink is giving me grief because of my sizable site. Traffic to my site has crashed it several times.

I have tried everything and yes I checked the previously asked stuff; my main concern at this time is how to work Stuffit because I need to. I download a template and I get a file and I can't do anything with it. It's a FILE. I unload it and put it somewhere and it's nothing. Just blank.

I need to figure out how to give my subdomains space with me. I am ChewMouse. My subdomains are Palace Puppy, Alley Cat, Prairie Penguin and Desert Wolf.

I need to understand FTP and I just can't. I've read everything, I've bought books.

My Computer Consultant left town for college. This is the kid that convinced us to get a Mac in 2004 and then went and built two PCs in his freaking bedroom. Then he bought a laptop. And I sit here with the Mac.

I would seek help via email. However, for anyone's privacy, I could POST IT ON DEAR EARTHLINK'S SPACE and you could just go there.

I do not want to burden anyone or write long posts. I just want the most bonafide genius on this site who works on a Mac and has a website and will help me for free to get in touch. If it does not work, that's okay. I am so frustrated right now that I really do not care. This is my last attempt at getting help. After this, should it not work, I'm going to blast this machine with my Computer Consultant's BB gun.

Again: I will continue to check through these forums but I do not find: how to work Stuffit, How To Make Your Web Host Play Fair, What To Do If Your Site Crashes And Your Internet Provider Gets All Snotty About It and How To Get Your Domain Where YOU Want It.

Before you write me off as a dumb blonde, I have an MA in English lit and I'm a nurse. (I often do Shakespearian therapy.) (That was a joke.) I am a writer and have published over three hundred articles in women's magazines. I have edited two books. I teach nursing at the college level.

And I can't do the Mac on advanced functions. I never expected my website to become what it is.

Thank you for saying you won't help with homework and so on; I have had students cut and paste from cheat sites. You all seem professional and so am I if you need nursing. Or if you are illiterate, that type of thing, you know, the English degree.

While I cannot pay you, if you can help me I'll feature you on my site, I'll write something you need done so long as it is not an assignment, etc., or I will help you in some other way.

Folks, I'm at my wit's end. I have a site that could be very important and I want to do others. But I need a mentor or something.

I am not intrusive except for this long post. I would be glad to ask a question and await your response. I know you are busy. We can work via a private blog or via email. If you live in Topeka you better get over here right now.

I so hate to ask for help. I taught myself HTML and CSS and some Java, but I'm stuck.

Think about it, please let me know if you are willing to help me.

Even if not, thank you for reading this.

I am ChewMouse.
The truest way to see my site:  http://home.earthlink.net/~chewmouse/

The Way I Prefer To Avoid That Pointing Stuff From Hostway:
http://www.chewmouse.com

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Good afternoon

From what I understand, you have downloaded your home directory of your website, which, incidentally (well, then again, its not much of a surprise, since its a Mac), happened to be in a format that your Mac is having difficulties reading?

Or is it just that you are having problems figuring out how to use StuffitExpander? (Which, admittedly, is a horrible program when it comes to ease of use)

When you start StuffitExpander, press the HELP button on your computer, this should bring up the basics of how to use it.