Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problems with windows media player  (Read 7881 times)

MikeNf

Problems with windows media player
« on: September 27, 2007, 11:01:36 PM »
For some reason when I try to watch videos on wmv/quicktime/etc, It crashes and doesnt respond, and it slows up the whole computer forcing me to restart. Ive tried re-installing windows media player to update my codecs, but that didnt help and it still crashes, I can play music through wmp, but just not videos.. And I dont think its my video card since I can play online games with no problem, so i thought it should be able to play videos, my friend told me it may be a virus problem, does anyone know what this could be? and if it is a virus problem, any reccomendations for a free virus remover?

thanks

The Saviour

Re: Problems with windows media player
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 11:10:18 PM »
What version of Windows?  What version of Media Player?  What malware protection?  When's the last time you visited Windows Update for "high priority" updates?  When's the last time you ran a full-system scan with your malware protection?  Is your malware protection updated?  Are you running any P2P programs like LimeWire?

MikeNf

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 11:16:03 PM »
Windows XP Professional 2002 =/     Windows Media Player 11
Not sure what malware protection I have, Windows Security alert, and I run Ad-Aware every so often.. Not sure if any of that is updated, and ive never checked for high priorty updates, and yeah I do use LimeWire sometimes

The Saviour

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 11:20:18 PM »
Something you may want to look at:  Malware Guide

MikeNf

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 11:47:07 PM »
Ive installed and ran both CCleaner and Spyware and they have caught and deleted some things, but my windows media player is still locking up and freezing, so could it be a codec probleM or maybe my video card?

The Saviour

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 11:51:48 PM »
Make sure you have the latest "high priority" updates from Windows Update as well.

If you are still having issues...uninstall Windows Media Player 11...run CCleaner again...and download Media Player 11 again from Windows Update.

MikeNf

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 12:09:53 AM »
I had the high priority updates, and I tried re installin and running CCleaner again and retrying it. What happens is when I first start the video, its a black screen, and I can just see my computer begin to lag and windows media player stops responding, and it only happens with videos and not music, so think it could be my video card? i have an Nvidia one, not really sure where to check out all the info for the card

The Saviour

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 12:11:18 AM »
What is the file extension of the video file you are truying to play on the Media Player?  Where did it come from?

MikeNf

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 12:14:06 AM »
Sorry you kind of lost me there, but the kind of file im trying to play is a .avi that ive made with a program called fraps

The Saviour

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 12:31:27 AM »
Have you gone into Tools/Options/File Types to see if .avi is checked?

I've never heard of "fraps" by the way...

MikeNf

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 12:33:11 AM »
Yeah its checked. everything is

The Saviour

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 12:37:27 AM »
What's your screen res set at?

MikeNf

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 12:40:47 AM »
1024 X 768

The Saviour

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 12:47:07 AM »
See if your Media Player can play this sample avi file:

Sample

MikeNf

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 12:49:33 AM »
Whoa, it actually did :o, whats different from that one and any other one?