Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: STRANGE SEARCH BAR  (Read 4192 times)

Andrew L. Beck

STRANGE SEARCH BAR
« on: December 03, 2004, 03:41:11 PM »
I recently had a strange search bar come up with my yahoo search bar.  It from the web site Richfind it has buttons poker, computer, health, finance, shoping, business, cars, travel, bussines......I was wondering how do i get this off of here every time i uncheck it the next time i open the browser its back on again, and it keeps setting my home page to About:blank. Any Ideas

Thanks ???

merlin_2

annoyed

Re: STRANGE SEARCH BAR
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 02:13:48 PM »
i had that same problem
what i did was that i downlaoded Mozilla Firefox brower and used that browser instead of IE and didnt have any probs.  try that and reply if thers a problem
Mozilla is free  ;)

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2004, 04:20:01 PM »
But what about the trojan/worm problem....is does not go away by changing browsers?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2004, 01:20:03 AM »
    Well said Merlin .....that like putting on a band aid.......the injury is still there.  

Andrew..... cwShedder will identify and reset your home page. You may have to D/L hijackthis to completely rid yourself of the pest. That toolbar probably contains a browser hijacker. Have you checked in control panel / add /remove programs to see if the toolbar shows up there ? If it does remove it from there .

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2004, 05:01:18 AM »
    You may be able to use Advanced uninstaller Pro 2004 to remove any add-on bars from Internet Explorer. However, it does not detect them all.

Jonathon Bailey

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 05:58:43 PM »
    I think the problem in the first place is that you have Yahoo search bar, i think it is evil and gives you pop-ups as well as unwanted spyware and adaware.

try download Ad-Aware SE and Spybot Search and Destory, both of which are freeware and will help clear the junk out of your computer.

i would say delete it and if you go with any outside search bar for your IE use the Google search bar.  It has a built in pop-up blocker which works great and blocks about 90% of your popups -if not more.