Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installing SATA HDD as Master on an IDE Motherboard through PCI Adapter  (Read 4494 times)

zorropup21

So, I have an SATA HDD that I found in my dad's busted computer. The HDD still works fine as we hooked it up to another computer through a IDE and SATA to USB cable. I want to make the new SATA HDD my master on my main computer, but the computer uses IDE HDDs (Which have crashed). I purchased an SATA PCI Host Card and installed it into the pc. However, when I hooked everything up and booted it, I receive an error stating: NTLDR is missing Press Crtl+Alt+Del to restart.

My pc is an older Sony Vaio PCV-RX650 with stock motherboard.
The SATA HDD is a Maxtor 6L100M0 - 100 GB HDD

When I use my recovery discs to try and install Windows on the computer, I always get an error message saying:

Cannot find hard drive
Confirm if hard drive is correctly connected.

I've plugged in the HDD to the PCI card and the PCI card to the slot. There is power to the HDD.

The start up screen looks like this:

Award Medallion BIOS v6.0
Copyright (C) 1984-2001. Award Software, Inc.

ACPI BIOS Revision 1002

Award Plug and Play Bios Extension v1.0A
Initialize Plug and Play Cards...
PNP Init Completed

Detecting Primary Slave   ... None
Detecting Secondary Slave ... Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-11D

Primary master drive fails

Press F1 to continue, F2 to enter SETUP
12/18/2001-1845 -P4B266LM

Sil 3152A SATALink  BIOS Version 4.3.79
Copyright (C) 1997-2006 Silicone Image Inc.

1   Maxtor 6L100M0                                         93 GB

Sec. Master   Disk : CD-ROM, VDMA 2

Sec. Slave     Disk : CD-ROM, VDMA 2

<BIOS:> BIOS update data incorrect. CPUID=00000F29.
PCI device listing.....
Bus No.     Device No.      Func No.     Vender ID    Device ID       Device Class                      IRQ
_______________________________________ ____________________________________
  0              31                   1                 8086           244B               IDE Controller                14/15
  0              31                   2                 8086           2442               Serial bus controller              9
  0              31                   4                 8086           2444               Serial bus controller              9
  0              31                   5                 8086           2445               Multimedia device               10
  1                0                   0                 10DE           0322               Display controller                11
  2                9                   0                 1106           3038               Serial bus controller              9
  2                9                   1                 1106           3038               Serial bus controller              9
  2                9                   2                 1106           3104               Serial bus controller              9
  2              10                   0                 1186           1300               Network controller                9
  2              11                   0                 1095           3512               Mass storage controller        9
  2              13                   0                 10EC           8139               Network controller                9
  2              14                   0                 104C           8020               Serial bus controller              3

NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
_

so yea, now that I've just wasted half an hour typing that directly from the other monitor, can anyone diagnose a solution? Like maybe how to boot from the driver cd that came with the Serial ATA PCI Host Card? Or whatnot.

Anyways, thanks everyone for reading and whatnot.